Cheeky Vimto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am drinking this now and it's absolutely fantastic.

I followed BarnsleyBrewer's recipe (mark 2) on page 11 of this thread to the letter and could not be more happier with the result. My brew turned out at 8.2%

Will be making a lot more of this in time for summer.

ive just made up a 1 gallon batch of this and i'm a little worried my s.g. is 1.100. Its seems alot higher than everyone elses.
Should i be worried??

drago-mir said:
ive just made up a 1 gallon batch of this and i'm a little worried my s.g. is 1.100. Its seems alot higher than everyone elses.
Should i be worried??
Only if it ferments down to 1000 and your working the next day..lol

Seriously tho that should be ok but it'll be quite dry and around 12% ABV plus you'll need an high alcohol tolerant yeast.. :thumb:

BB

i can always back sweeten if i need to though right? with canderell or something of the like?

How did i miss this one....

Its going to have to be instead of my next TC, but reminds me of a "cocktail" we used to make at uni.

1 large bucket + 15cans lager, 15cans strongbow, 1 bottle port, 1 bottle vodka, 2L vimto. Deadly :lol:

chrig said:
How did i miss this one....

Its going to have to be instead of my next TC, but reminds me of a "cocktail" we used to make at uni.

1 large bucket + 15cans lager, 15cans strongbow, 1 bottle port, 1 bottle vodka, 2L vimto. Deadly :lol:

Hmmm, so it's basically a snakebite & black with an extra kick to the head.

Black Mamba Bite?

well my brew of this is doing well instead of plain apple juice i used apple and elderflower it was over sweet at the begining. it took around a week to drop from 1.100 to 1.090 but this last week its shot down to 1.040 i couldnt believe me and the OH tried a little from the Trail glass and wow IT IS GORGEOUS!!! cant wait to try this when its done properly.
how is everyone elses going

I made my 4th batch of this on Saturday and something has gone wrong.

The first three batches have all turned out fantastic. I have made this 4th batch exactly the same except this time instead of sprinkling the yeast over the top i made it in a cup with some luke warm water and yeast nutrient.

This did sit in the cup for quite a long time as the temperature was a bit warm to add it to my FV.

By the time i did add it, it had quite a large head on it.

Anyway, not a lot has happened except it has a bit of froth floating on the top.

Normally by this time it is blowing the lid of my FV off.

I made a bucket of Tropical punch at the same time and this is doing great. I have to keep letting the pressure out it is that energetic.

Does anyone know what i have done wrong? Did i kill my yeasties by keeping them locked up in a little cup whilst waiting to throw them into battle?

I used Youngs cider yeast and have none left, but i do have some Gervin wine yeast, should i throw that in and see what happens?

Just started drinking my latest batch of this.

1 litre Vimto cordial
3 litres apple juice
Sugar to 1.068

I stopped the fermentation at 1.018 therefore equalling about 6.5%.

It cleared within a couple of days, popped it in a pint glass with a merest smidge of lemonade and it's bloody beautiful!

Hi Guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice - I've got my first batch of vimto TC on the go.
I've used 4l of apple juice, 1 l of vimto - added 200grams of sugar, 1 cup of strong black tea, pack of youngs yeast, teaspoon of yeast nutrient and a teaspoon of pectolase. The reading was 1070.

So far everything seems to be going lovely, bubbling away like a trooper. There hasn't been any thick head on top, just lots of bubbles, every 3 -4 seconds at the moment.

I'm aiming for a still cider and don't want it dry. From reading through the various posts the best way to achieve this is to stop fermentation myself by siphoning into another vessel and adding campden tablets, but when's the best time to do this? I'd like an end results of 7% if possible.

I'm assuming if it's not sweet or too dry I can just add a little bit of vimto cordial to try and get some flavour back?

Thanks guys

You need to stop it at 1017, for 7%. Rack it and add steriliser. Will stop any further fermentation. When I made this I Made it really dry and didn't need to add anymore flavour, the vimto came out lovely.

Thanks for the advice - I'll take a hydrometer reading when I top up the juice in a few days time.

I'll be bottling into 2litre water bottles - how many camden tablets should i add per bottle? Also, after i've bottled, how long till it's ready to drink?

Thanks for your help

miketate said:
Thanks for the advice - I'll take a hydrometer reading when I top up the juice in a few days time.

I'll be bottling into 2litre water bottles - how many camden tablets should i add per bottle? Also, after i've bottled, how long till it's ready to drink?

Thanks for your help
Make sure you adjust your OG if you top up with the calculators top left. I would use steriliser not Camden tablets. I would say 4 weeks minimum but in all honest I started drinking mine after two cos I'm impatient. Had to put another one on 2weeks after i had finished cos I only had two bottles left

Back