Mead anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scots_Pagan said:
I think you may have made the same error i did on my first; took it out too quickly..

Mead likes a long time in the secondary...at least 2 months.
that said, my first batch was rough as a prozzies **** at bottling but matured quite well in only 3-4 months it was lovely.

Possibly, it hadn't bubbled in a while but it was a matter of needs must, moving house soon and apparently demi johns don't take priority, so had to be bottled.

Would it be best to use clear 'Runny' honey, or the opaque set variety?
Supermarket bought is my only option.

I've interpreted the original posters recipe as 1587g of honey in 4.5l liquid.
is this correct?

I used the raw "runny" honey rather than the set type. The set type contains lots of small crystals, but I'm not sure if it would have any effect on the mead if you used it.

Yes 3 1/2 lbs is about 1.6 kg and 1 gal is about 4.5L. With that amount of honey you might find that it ferments dry, so you may want to either back sweeten, or use a little bit more honey if you want it slightly sweeter.

Hi all. Can anyone tell me how long can you keep mead for once the bottle is open. TY.

Bud said:
Hi all. Can anyone tell me how long can you keep mead for once the bottle is open. TY.

You can't...once it's open you drink it all :D

Treat it as any wine once opened. Usually a day (2 if fridged) pop the cork back in the top to stop nasties dropping in.

My Rhubarb + honey wine (Mead) is still brewing.... I started it in 2012... I've added a 1/2lb Honey at each racking and a pinch of nutrient.
Just regular all purpose wine yeast. It'll probably be ready to drink in 2020 :lol:

Frogfurlong said:
Bud said:
My Rhubarb + honey wine (Mead) is still brewing.... I started it in 2012... I've added a 1/2lb Honey at each racking and a pinch of nutrient.
Just regular all purpose wine yeast. It'll probably be ready to drink in 2020 :lol:

I really hope it's nice after all that time!

One question comes to mind though..... why?

jkp said:
I really hope it's nice after all that time!

I've made a similar one before and it was bloody gorgeous!

jkp said:
One question comes to mind though..... why?

I had no acid blend, but I had a surplus of rhubarb (stuff grows like weeds in my garden). Honey is the cheap ssupermarket stuff, with the exception of the last one at the next racking. I'll use a good quality high flavoured one, a heather one perhaps. I was joking about 2020 :lol: It'll be drinkable by Xmas :thumb:

Brewing is not just about making the same brew day in day out, it is (to me at least) it's also about experimentation. Whatever happens it'll be drinkable. :)

I'd forgotten about it, I'd put it in the shed and it got surrounded by stuff... about 8 months later I found it :oops:

When I tasted it it was insipid, but still "mead-y", and being in Yorkshire (Home of thriftyness) I wasn't going to throw it away.
I just added a 1/2lb of honey a pinch of nutrient and away it went again :D

Ah, now it makes sense!

I made an apple plus red berries cider a few weeks ago and it came out very watery (I made the mistake of using a 40% red berry juice drink) so I added some honey in the hope of adding a little body to it. Are the Welsh thrifty by nature too perhaps?

Back