The Budget.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just a small part but the one most low paid working class members will be looking at.

As a diesel car owner i was expecting the Fuel duty to rise as a punishment for all us buyers who bought one to save money and now are looked down on for poisoning the planet, its now just for new cars.

Full summary here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42056452

Alcohol, tobacco and fuel

Tobacco will continue to rise by 2% above Retail Price Index (RPI) inflation, equivalent to 28p on a pack of 20, while the minimum excise duty on cigarettes introduced in March will also rise

Duty on hand-rolling tobacco will increase by additional 1%

Duty on beer, wine, spirits and most ciders will be frozen, equating to 12p off a pint of beer and £1.15 off a bottle of whisky by next April
But duty on high-strength "white ciders" to be increased in 2019 via new legislation

Fuel duty rise for petrol and diesel cars scheduled for April 2018 scrapped

Vehicle excise duty for new diesel cars not meeting latest standards to rise by one band in April 2018

Tax hike will not apply to van owners

Existing diesel supplement in company car tax to rise by 1%

Proceeds to fund a new £220m clean air fund

How abolishing stamp duty under 300G is gonna get first time buyers on the property ladder and folk sleeping rough on the streets is a white elephant unless you are one of the silver spoon kids

The tax guys are usually all over a budget. Not today - this is the fiscal equivalent of a cold cup of tea.

How abolishing stamp duty under 300G is gonna get first time buyers on the property ladder and folk sleeping rough on the streets is a white elephant unless you are one of the silver spoon kids

It should see more properties bought, takes less time to save etc.

Will soon see if any new buyers will be interested when I put my house for sale, price bracket may put them off though

No mention of "shoulders to the wheel", "noses to the grindstone", "people at the coal-face" etc but it was the usual cliche riddled "political speak" that we have come to accept. This is where "promises" won't be realised and the "jam tomorrow" attitude is cheered by people who should know better.

Note:

For the younger members of the Forum, the UK used to have a coal industry and hard physical work was often referred to as "being at the coal-face"; even if you had never seen the inside of a coal-mine.

The phrase has fallen out of use over the last few years, mainly because the UK no longer have coal-faces; and if we need someone to do hard physical work we have generally employed someone from the EU. :whistle:

Latest posts

Back