1ST Turbo Cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wysh

Reaction score
Started my first turbo cider t'other day, haven't a clue how it's gonna turn out, hoping that it's at least drinkable.

13962767_1298209663544336_7790823753420443480_n.jpg

Looking good, what recipe did you use?

Wasn't a recipe as such, just experimenting really.

3 packs of Co Op apple juice, 1 pack Five Alive Berry.

A Harris cider yeast with some yeast nutrient all topped up with 120g sugar dissolved in hot water.

Starting OG was 1.049/1.048 ish.

Bubbling away quite merrily actually.

Right, what's my next step?

It's fermented out beautifully, down to about 1.000/0.009 or thereabouts. And apart from some floaters it is pretty clear.

If the ABV calculator is the same for any brew cider or beer then that makes it about 6.5/6.6%

It actually tastes pretty damn good, I'd be happy to drink as is but I'll add some raspberry flavouring and some sweetener to keep the missus happy.

My test sample seemed to have a lot of yeast particles floating, possibly because I tipped the demijohn to take the sample.

Should I just bottle from this, or perhaps rack off to another demijohn, sweeten, flavour and prime?

I usually rack off to another to prime etc.... better than stirring the primary up again when mixing in your priming solution 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I usually rack off to another to prime etc.... better than stirring the primary up again when mixing in your priming solution 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cheers Roddy.

Should I fine to get rid of the little floaters? And is it better to fine in the secondary demijohn a little while before priming and bottling?

Cheers Roddy.

Should I fine to get rid of the little floaters? And is it better to fine in the secondary demijohn a little while before priming and bottling?

I usually just rack to another FV, prime (I use polish flavoured syrup, which is so loaded with sugar, it does all the priming) Lowicz it's called, you can usually get it readily in supermarkets, but probably just the cherry or raspberry varieties

I don't use finings in TC at all, it will clear to crystal in the bottle when it's carbing up, I usually get a tiny bit of sediment so that I need to store the bottles upright, and leave about 5mm in the bottle when pouring into the glass.

My stuff usually clears and carbs in about 7 days, when kept in a warm place, if you use a few plastic bottles too, you can gauge how well it's carbing by how firm the bottles are to the squeeze :)

Cheers Roddy.

I usually just rack to another FV, prime (I use polish flavoured syrup, which is so loaded with sugar, it does all the priming) Lowicz it's called, you can usually get it readily in supermarkets, but probably just the cherry or raspberry varieties.. I'll then bottle it immediately after racking/priming.

I don't use finings in TC at all, it will clear to crystal in the bottle when it's carbing up, I usually get a tiny bit of sediment so that I need to store the bottles upright, and leave about 5mm in the bottle when pouring into the glass.

My stuff usually clears and carbs in about 7 days, when kept in a warm place, if you use a few plastic bottles too, you can gauge how well it's carbing by how firm the bottles are to the squeeze :)

Watched a video last night where they froze apple juice and collected the syrup in a jug as it defrosted. They added that along with wine conditioner (invert sugar) to get the right flavour and sweetness before they kegged. Not sure how this applies to bottling unless its still but will be trying the apple juice with some Cyser i plan on making.

I usually just rack to another FV, prime (I use polish flavoured syrup, which is so loaded with sugar, it does all the priming) Lowicz it's called, you can usually get it readily in supermarkets, but probably just the cherry or raspberry varieties.. I'll then bottle it immediately after racking/priming.

Can't seem to get that at our local co op. However I have some Raspberry flavouring, sugar and sweetener so I'll go with that.

Not been on lately, combination of work, home building projects and lack of space for brewing. This brew came out amazingly well even if I do say so myself. It's crisp, clean, tasty and a touch dry. Will be making more!

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11388&stc=1&d=1512847701

WP_20171204_16_19_27_Pro.jpg

Back