Fruit 'Tea Bags' ....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a few of these with mostly good results!

The ones that i left too long were the ones that went wrong. Keep an eye on the gravity..anything below 1.000 will lose its taste in my limited experience.

:thumb:

Timely bump, I've a couple of litres of sainsburys RWJ in the fridge, bought with the intention of trying a wow, but I don't have any orange, apple or other juice. I do have some apple and elderflower infusion that's been occupying shelf space for far too long and the necessary yeast etc. Anyone able to tell me roughly what the starting gravity should be? And whether it would benefit from addition of raisins or grape juice concentrate?

Anyone able to tell me roughly what the starting gravity should be? And whether it would benefit from addition of raisins or grape juice concentrate?
I dunno bout other people but I start my wines at like 1.090 to 1.100, taking into account the sugar from the raisins.
Nearly all the wines I make have raisins in as I think they give it more flavour. Also they cheap.

My latest wine:
image.jpg

Peach Tea Wine

Hoping it will clear to a delightful peach colour lol

Recipe you used please? Did it turn out well?

Oh yes it turned out excellently!

For 2 gallons

30 fruit tea bags
2.2kg sugar
500g chopped sultanas
Juice of 2 lemons
Large strong cup of tea
2 tsp pectolase
2 tsp yeast nutrient
Campden tablets
Yeast

Sterilise everything. Chuck sugar in bucket. Pour over 2 litres boiling water and stir to dissolve. Add 24 teabags, lemon juice, and cup of tea and top up with boiling water to 2 gallons. Then add chopped sultanas. Add pectolase, yeast nutrient and 2 crushed campden tablets. Leave for 24 hours with lid and airlock.

Remove tea bags and add yeast. Ferment in bucket for 7 days, then strain and transfer to demijohns. Top up with either water, more fruit tea or fruit juice. (Personally I use more fruit tea)

Ferment out then rack, stabilise and add finings if necessary. Top up with more fruit tea if needed.

Leave to clear.

This peach tea was in a 4 flavour box from the London tea and herb company on amazon. Mainly because I got about 200 teabags for like 10 quid or something.

Tea wine was popular amongst the generation that preceded me.
Now i am an old fart myself and coming from a homebrew dynasty I can vouch for the fact that tea is held in the same regard if not more than most ingredients.

I think I can feel an Earl Grey coming on.:laugh8:

Oh yes it turned out excellently!

For 2 gallons

30 fruit tea bags
2.2kg sugar
500g chopped sultanas
Juice of 2 lemons
Large strong cup of tea
2 tsp pectolase
2 tsp yeast nutrient
Campden tablets
Yeast

Sterilise everything. Chuck sugar in bucket. Pour over 2 litres boiling water and stir to dissolve. Add 24 teabags, lemon juice, and cup of tea and top up with boiling water to 2 gallons. Then add chopped sultanas. Add pectolase, yeast nutrient and 2 crushed campden tablets. Leave for 24 hours with lid and airlock.

Remove tea bags and add yeast. Ferment in bucket for 7 days, then strain and transfer to demijohns. Top up with either water, more fruit tea or fruit juice. (Personally I use more fruit tea)

Ferment out then rack, stabilise and add finings if necessary. Top up with more fruit tea if needed.

Leave to clear.

This peach tea was in a 4 flavour box from the London tea and herb company on amazon. Mainly because I got about 200 teabags for like 10 quid or something.
Cheers for your reply, a while since my last tea wine but I'll give this a go👍

Yes admittedly it bears a close resemblance to 2 other recipes posted by chippy and hedgerow Pete I think. However I added chopped sultanas for vinosity and adjusted the sugar accordingly
if you don't mind me asking what's the rough ABV for this one? usually go for around 13%
edit.
hadn't actually looked at @Chippy_Tea 's initial post. presume yours is similar to that value.

Back