My first hooch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have a go - sounds nice to mix with something. I think you lot have forgotten Hooch was a bit of a glorified lemon enamel stripper! (the paint stripping type...)

I've made this a couple of times now. The second was much better than the first. First one fermented dry so was a bit bland and sour but still drinkable. For the second batch I used 1 and a half teaspoons of Candarel to sweeten it up and the difference was amazing. This and ginger beer are now my stock fizzy brews.

I used Candarel but any artificial sweetener is good. I've also used Splenda :cheers:

kRooGa said:
I've made this a couple of times now. The second was much better than the first. First one fermented dry so was a bit bland and sour but still drinkable. For the second batch I used 1 and a half teaspoons of Candarel to sweeten it up and the difference was amazing. This and ginger beer are now my stock fizzy brews.

I used Candarel but any artificial sweetener is good. I've also used Splenda :cheers:

Is that 1 and a half teaspoons per gallon as sweetener? Apologies but I'm new to brewing so not sure how sweet that would make a large amount.

Just bog standard general purpose wine yeast, 1 teaspoon per gallon and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient :cheers:

Going to brew this up too, ordered everything I need for 5 gallons. I am going to use a cider yeast with sweetener to stop it being too dry as I have one leftover so may as well give it a try :cheers:

Down to 1.003 now, has a great lemon taste with a slight pith bitterness (will that fade over time?) and has some sweetness to it because of the yeast :thumb:

Bottled today, taste was more sour now compared to before being racked. Should fade a little with time I hope as it should be a nice little drink :cheers: Worked out at 25p per 500ml :thumb:

@ kRooGa do you make it in gallon demijohn or a 25lt fermentation vessel, any chance of your walkthrough either way?

Hi all,

I have not been on here for a long time but was amazed to see this thread still alive.

I think its time to make some more :)

Got some of this still fermenting, started last Friday, SG 1038, checked today to see how it was going, SG now 1010. Tasted very sharp but nice. Mixed my trial jar full with a dash of Splenda and a bit of Ribena Blackcurrant. Very nice indeed, can't wait for it to finish now...
Must get another batch started.

I started one of these yesterday and its barely bubbling, I forgot to check the juice for preservatives!! Hopefully an extra spoon full of nutrients will help

Well it finally got going after a while... Next mistake, I've added fermentation stopper! Any saving the brew or shall I get another on the go?

I started a hooch on Saturday, and it looks and smells fantastic. :D It even tasted great when we sampled it before adding the yeast, so I can't wait to try the finished product.

I had to swap the airlock over today though, it was a bit vigorous, so lesson learnt. I'll make sure not to fill above the bottom of the curve on the demijohn for the next batch, and top up after a few days.

The original recipe calls for yeast nutrient to be put in. Yet i have read on another thread on here that if you have no nutrient you can use lemon juice instead. If that is the case do i need nutrient for this recipe?

I've started brewing a bit of this, 4th one on the go, each slightly different for variety. the second I made with just the 500ml lemon juice, no real lemons, clears lovely, and to help sweeten I added 3/4 bottle of Ribena strawberry concentrate, left for week or two to develop and by god it's good. The third was just plain lemon juice, sweetened with splenda, nice and refreshing, and the fourth, I don't know yet, maybe blackcurrant.

Latest posts

Back