Cheeky Vimto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bigal said:
:( Tell us more please LOOPY JUICE in what way?
pee.gif
:rofl: Al

Well by my calculations its finished at about 11 - 12.5% ABV

Mines not that strong Dave just 7% :drunk:

You only want a couple of pints and your forgeting it's alcoholic!

:( Ho NO I think my Cheeky Vimto T/C might have died,it has stopped Fermenting. This is were I'm.
Saturday Midday made up my 5Ltr Batch of Vimto/Apple Juice/ Sugar in a 15LTR Fermenting Lidded Bin.
Added 1 Teaspoon full of S-04 Yeast when at 24 Degrees and mixed in well (Shake and Stir).
Kept at 18-22 Temperature.
Sunday Evening it was Fermenting Slightly.
Monday Afternoon No signs of Fermenting.Did a temperature Check result 26 Degrees ( Safale S-04 Yeast States Temperature Range to be 15-24C so don't know if I have damaged the Yeast or not.
Any suggestions as to what might be happening or what I might do to correct the problem..regards Al
pee.gif
:( :( :( :( :( :(

Firstly whats the Gravity of it?
Secondly the yeast itself will warm the wort whilst it's fermenting.

:cheers: Hi Nick just taken a reading my original OG was 1.080 my Reading Now is 1.052 and it looks like it has started Fermenting again about the same rate as it was Sunday afternoon Bubbles covering 3/4 of the Surface , what do you reckon. and it tastes Great.regards Al
pee.gif
:clap:

I'd leave it alone then. You don't get a head like on ales. Only a few bubbles on the surface. Just try and drop the temp a couple of degrees!

Glad is all ok bigal. I'm gonna be starting my batch of this cheeky brew tomoz picked up some vimto on the way home from work and can't wait to give it ago whoop whoop.

Oddbod said:
Glad is all ok bigal. I'm gonna be starting my batch of this cheeky brew tomoz picked up some vimto on the way home from work and can't wait to give it ago whoop whoop.
:cheers: Lidl are doing there Pure Apple Juice at 49p Ltr --Asda 50p-- Tesco 56p
pee.gif
Al :cheers:

ah i picked up 10L in tesco on the way home. Quick question off topic, if I take the lid off my FV to check the sg will this affect my brew in any way ? Thank youand sorry again for goin off topic.

Taking the lid off for a minute or two is ok as co2 is heavier than air it will sit on top of the liquid :thumb:

Ok great stuff thank you, just asking as the batch im brewing atm has slowed right down to only bubbling once every few mins, and has only been brewing for 4 days.

muddydisco said:
I'd leave it alone then. You don't get a head like on ales. Only a few bubbles on the surface. Just try and drop the temp a couple of degrees!
:cheers: Morning Nick dropped the Temperture a couple of degrees . Looks like my Yeast has woken up my Bucket is like a Bubble Bath looks like Im on the right road again regards Al :party:
pee.gif

Well I've just started my cheeky vimto started off with an sg of 1.075 so can't wait for it now smelt amazing!

bigal said:
muddydisco said:
:cheers: Morning Nick dropped the Temperture a couple of degrees . Looks like my Yeast has woken up my Bucket is like a Bubble Bath looks like Im on the right road again regards Al :party:
pee.gif

:party: :party: Cheeky Vimto doing well not sure if I need to stop Fermentation yet,
there are still bubbles on the top of the Wort.
Done another hydrometer check got a reading of 1.017.
My OG was 1.080 so my calculation makes it 8.3% does that sound about right.
It smells and tastes just great not sure that I want to chance it getting any stronger.
I have got Campden Tablets and Potassium Powder my Wort is in a FV at the moment and I want the Finished Cider in Bottles but not sure of my next move so any advice welcomed...regards Al
:wha: :wha:
pee.gif

If your happy with the taste and sweetness I would syphon it off the yeast into your second FV. Then add your campdens and Potassuim then cool it as much as you can, fridge if possible for 3-4 days to settle out any suspended yeast. Then rack it into the bottles.
The only problem I can see is the yeast by the time it's in the bottles won't be alive enough to condition the cider to a fizz so you may end up with a flatter scrumpy type cider.

If you don't put the potassium and campdens it you may end up with bottle bombs :shock:
You could try Pet bottles (fizzy drinks bottles coke pepsi etc) they will hold more pressure and you'll be able to feel that pressure as well..

Depends what your after????

:cheers: Cheers Nick I'm going with option 1 Siphon of into Demijohn with air lock Campden Tablets and Potassium Sorbate just negotiating with the wife for a loan of the fridge (could cost me) just getting things ready so if any further thoughts within the next 1/2 hour then there will be no turning back.. regards Al :party: :party:
pee.gif

:cheers: R well only got 6 pints out of my 8 Siphon tube kicked out and broke siphon dint wont to pick up **** from bottom of bin so scrapped 2 pints will use them in my Slug Traps down the Allotment.
N :clap: eed to perfect my siphoning for the next batch,if this turns out ok will do a 5gallon batch that way wasting 2 pints wont hurt.
Needless to say dint manage to get the use of the Fridge it was going to cost me to dearly only managed the Ice Box and blocks in the shed but were in for a cold spell so hopefully that should do fine ...Al
:drunk:

Latest posts

Back