Chill cube/ fv

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No experience but I've read the Aussies keep wort in no chill cubes for months. They let the wort cool a little, these Aussies, before transferring to the cube, and then use the heat of the wort to sanitise the inside of the cube, laying it on it side for about ten mins to sanitise the top of the cube. But they are Aussies aren't they, they'll do anything, they don't give a flying toss, and they probably have no idea what beer is supposed to taste like. :whistle:

48 runs, I think the margin of victory was, today. :cheers:

As an all grain brewer thanks to the miracle of Biab, I am actually massively indebted to these people. I love it. :hat:

Onya cobber :)
The main reason that No Chill became popular in Australia was because there are a number of local companies that do "fresh wort kits" - 20L of wort from the kettle with a long shelf life. Not the cheapest at around $A45 a pop but still less than half the price of commercial beer and usually great beer, foolproof.

Each kit is really just a no chill cube so the precedent was there. Also there was many a brewer who went on to all grain and what are you going to do with all those feckin cubes???? :tongue:

Anyway on topic, I did a Russian Imperial Stout in October 2011 and for various reasons like lack of fermenters, moving house interstate etc it didn't get pitched till a month ago. Was perfect.
Until then it got used to hold up a shelf, as a doorstop etc :shock: and eventually out of sheer guilt I pitched it with Wyeast Irish Ale yeast and it's now in a keg maturing for a few months (I'll enter it in a competition). It looked pretty sad after its ordeal.

RISsadcube_zpse915fa02.jpg

Generally though I pitch within a few days because, on the flipside of the coin, I've had a couple of cubes that did get infected... only takes one wild yeast I suppose. So fanatical sanitation and highest temperature are a must. Also I don't normally use a tap, this was the only cube I had spare at the time.

Edit: I just saw that the OP mentioned unboiled wort. Asking for trouble, would probably be fermenting nicely by itself after a couple of days, grain is full of microorganisms, many of which would survive mash temperatures.

Latest posts

Back