Mead anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRandyRedcoat

Reaction score
Just started my first batch of mead according to the recipe "Joe's Ancient Orange Mead". An idiots mead using;

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend
1 Large orange
1 small handful of raisins
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )
1 teaspoon of bread yeast.

Stick in a demijohn, don't rack, don't stir, don't feed. Come back in 2 months and enjoy.

533902_10152137553954762_412469056_n.jpg

Once I can get a steady supply of local honey I will experiment and maybe try a mead ale.

Simon.

That looks nice and simple. Ive got a couple of empty djs kickin' about, think I might give it a go :D
Whats the method? I'm guessin' stick everythin' in the dj with boiled water, leave to cool and add yeast?

Ty for the recipe, i popped one of these on this afternoon (using a combination of the two posts above!). So, i'll leave it to ferment and stand for a good while, does the recipe then say to bottle it? And would the bottles require priming (1 tsp per pint?)

Cheers

I started one of these 2 months ago and left it to look after itself...it's clearing nicely and is due to be bottled in about a week or so and then ignored until June next year....patience is truly a virtue! :-)

The_Loon said:
I started one of these 2 months ago and left it to look after itself...it's clearing nicely and is due to be bottled in about a week or so and then ignored until June next year....patience is truly a virtue! :-)

Good stuff, i have to say the smell in the kitchen was amazing when making this up, smelt like christmas- bit odd in august!

So how will you go abput bottling, just transfer as is or will you add priming sugar?

I won't be adding any priming sugar...I'll just bottle it as it is. Not sure I'd like a fizzy mead....and I don't have any bottles strong enough to to contain it :-)

Don't under estimate this thing! :nono:
The taste of my JAO is fantastic

Rukula said:

May I ask, how do u serve your mead? Chilled like a beer or warm like mulled wine? Sorry for the silly question, I've never had it before :)

gbox82 said:
Rukula said:

May I ask, how do u serve your mead? Chilled like a beer or warm like mulled wine? Sorry for the silly question, I've never had it before :)

On the JAO i'd say both ways are fine. It has its own quality both cold and at room temp. I found the most sweetness when i serve it cold. However, i enjoy it most at room temperature, where it reveals a brilliant sherry taste.

So, try this: Take it out of the fridge after some storage. Pour yourself a nice big glass, and instantly put your nose in it, and give it a sip. Drink it really slow, with long breaks in between. In the end, it should be at room temp. I know this isn't rocket science, but its something lots of people doesn't really try out. Somewhere in there, you will find its sweet spot : )

Rukula said:
gbox82 said:
Rukula said:

On the JAO i'd say both ways are fine. It has its own quality both cold and at room temp. I found the most sweetness when i serve it cold. However, i enjoy it most at room temperature, where it reveals a brilliant sherry taste.

So, try this: Take it out of the fridge after some storage. Pour yourself a nice big glass, and instantly put your nose in it, and give it a sip. Drink it really slow, with long breaks in between. In the end, it should be at room temp. I know this isn't rocket science, but its something lots of people doesn't really try out. Somewhere in there, you will find its sweet spot : )

Brilliant, thanks for the tip. It looks like (from what people have said above) it will need two months in the dj. How long after this do you then leave it in the bottle before sampling? And the usual idea of bottling then leave in the warm for a while before transferring to somewhere cooler?

Thanks

i think mine took about 3 months. Just wait until the oranges sinks to the bottom. It says "DO NOT RACK!!" in the recipe i think, but i would recommend doing so. When the oranges sinks, rack it over to another fermenter, and let it sit for a week or two before bottling.

When i bottled straight from the fermenter, there was these tiny yellow particles that floats on top by the edges, and make a little ring. Its an aesthetic thing, but i would like to get rid of it.

i got 3 bottles that i did properly, with real corks and labels etc... I intend to age those for 1,2 and 3 years, so i can feel how it develops over time. I haven't opened any of those yet, but i got lots of smaller bottles and jars that i pop open once in a while. Its fine after its done fermenting, but i would leave them at least a couple of months.

You don't want it fizzy, right? then you don't need to worry about leaving it "in the warm"

Here is a picture of my finished product.
24804710201237323244372.jpg

Tigress said:
Simon where do you get your clover from ?Or do you just go pick it ?

I'm just assuming you misunderstood... Its a "Clove" not a "Clover"
A clove is a regular spice you can get at most grocery stores
cloves.jpg

Rukula said:
Tigress said:
Simon where do you get your clover from ?Or do you just go pick it ?

I'm just assuming you misunderstood... Its a "Clove" not a "Clover"
A clove is a regular spice you can get at most grocery stores
cloves.jpg
Ah ok just in the recipe he said clover which 3 1/2 lb i could understand but 3 1/2 lbs of cloves thats alot :O

"clover honey" is what was meant, but I can see how confusion could arise. Any honey will do, but clover honey has a particular flavour. :cheers:

Algernon said:
"clover honey" is what was meant, but I can see how confusion could arise. Any honey will do, but clover honey has a particular flavour. :cheers:
Fantastic thank you very much :)

Rukula said:
i think mine took about 3 months. Just wait until the oranges sinks to the bottom. It says "DO NOT RACK!!" in the recipe i think, but i would recommend doing so. When the oranges sinks, rack it over to another fermenter, and let it sit for a week or two before bottling.

When i bottled straight from the fermenter, there was these tiny yellow particles that floats on top by the edges, and make a little ring. Its an aesthetic thing, but i would like to get rid of it.

i got 3 bottles that i did properly, with real corks and labels etc... I intend to age those for 1,2 and 3 years, so i can feel how it develops over time. I haven't opened any of those yet, but i got lots of smaller bottles and jars that i pop open once in a while. Its fine after its done fermenting, but i would leave them at least a couple of months.

You don't want it fizzy, right? then you don't need to worry about leaving it "in the warm"

Here is a picture of my finished product.
24804710201237323244372.jpg

That's great, thanks for all the hints. I'll definitely have a go at racking I think.

Btw your finished bottles look great :)

i use photoshop.
The yellow ish aged paper is just a picture of parchment from google, with added frames, text and some art. Nothing fancy with a bit of know-how :thumb:

Back