Sterilising Beer Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paulie Walnuts said:
As far as crown caps go, I just use them straight from the pack and then reseal afterwards. I can't be bothered with the hassle of sterilising caps, and have never had a single infection.
Ditto.

Likewise with wine corks (but don't forget to sterilise the corker).

I have some bottles to sterilise soon and am thinking of putting them into the oven on a very low heat to use the heat to sterilise them, any thoughts on that?

Cheers

divingdavey said:
I have some bottles to sterilise soon and am thinking of putting them into the oven on a very low heat to use the heat to sterilise them, any thoughts on that?

Cheers

That is probably fine for sanitising which is enough for what we want ;)

Starsan really is a cost effective no-rinse sanitiser when compared to running an oven though.
A £10 bottle will probably last a year at least.

I pretty much do the same.

I rinse as soon as possible after drinking.
Sanitise in the FV before Bottling with VWP.
Rinse a couple times after the FV.

However one day will clearing the kitchen I found a handheld steamer the wife bought in LIDL one day. Was never used. So after I rinse and have the bottles sitting out. I steam every bottle as well. There is a handy atachment that fits the bottles perfectly and figure it can do no harm. Never had a issue with infection or off flavour due to chemicals yet :whistle:

Bottles can't be sterilised outside a medical operating theatre, and even then they wouldn't be 100% sterile. You can sanitize them however, which does lower the bacteria count. Don't forget, also that alcohol is an antiseptic/antibacterial. I upset a few people on here a few months ago (not intentionally and without any malice) by saying I don't 'sterilise' or sanitise bottles. I give them a good wash with hot water as soon as they are emptied and rinse again when I bottle the next time. Obviously, if there is any gunk left in there, more care should be taken. I have done approaching 30 brews this way now with no infections.
Cheers!

Caps in no rinse solution first then on paper towel to dry.

Bottle washer with no rinse solution. Three squirts each then in the homemade rack to be drying.

Vaseline inside of caps to ensure good seal.

Coopers carbonation drops (x1 for Amber/dark ales, 1.5 for pale ales) in each bottle. I find this quicker than fannying around sterilising a second vessel, and syphoning for a batch prime tbh!

Little bottler attached to tap of FV, fill bottle, cap on to 'trap' CO2, repeat x c. 40.

Cap all bottles, stick on label with Pritt Stick (...other glue sticks are available), in cupboard for 2 weeks before moving to garage/beer fridge!!!

Easy.

Takes me 1 - 1.5 hours. Listen to two CDs whilst filling! :-D

Sorry to join in late but been reading this thread and I'm a newbie!!

I've got 40+ bottles that have been I haven't rinsed that have been sitting. Out in the rain!! My plan was this:

Fill bath with VWP and brush each bottle then rinse

Then put them in the dishwasher for a wash at 65C with no detergent, mainly for the heat of the dryer as I assume that will kill anything left!

I didn't save them for homebrew was just lazy going to bottle bank!! Is this worth the effort or do you think I will ruin my beer?? It's my first brew so want to get it right

Sorry to join in late but been reading this thread and I'm a newbie!!

I've got 40+ bottles that have been I haven't rinsed that have been sitting. Out in the rain!! My plan was this:

Fill bath with VWP and brush each bottle then rinse

Then put them in the dishwasher for a wash at 65C with no detergent, mainly for the heat of the dryer as I assume that will kill anything left!

I didn't save them for homebrew was just lazy going to bottle bank!! Is this worth the effort or do you think I will ruin my beer?? It's my first brew so want to get it right

If they are clean and steralised they should be fine.. to save up bottles I use my old bottles I get from Tesco. Warning though Wychwood bottles do not cap easily with standard lever bottle cappers.

I put my bottles upside down in dishwasher actually and that normally cleans them out (and removes labels).

I still will give a good clean the day before with a brush, then use a no rinse sanitiser leave to hang on the bottle tree whilst I rack into my bottling bucket and bottle from there.

I've not done bottles yet, whats Videne? does that have to be bought from a Homebrew Supplier?

I was thinking about just taking the heater plate off my wallpaper stripper and firing the pipe straight into each bottle for about 30secs too - yes/no?

:wha:

Did you try using the wallpaper stripper method? I'd be interested in trying this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back