Tonight I are mostly be drinking ......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
..... well, a bit of a mixture.

Forum members who have been paying attention will know that my mother died 3 weeks ago. We now have the onerous task of clearing out the family home, because my wife and I don't want it (she doesn't particularly like it, and I don't want it because it hasn't got a cellar), and my sister came back for the funeral but now lives in New Zealand, so she'd rather have half of the selling price.

In my late teens and twenties I collected miniature bottles of booze. To start with I collected anything, later I only collected malt whiskies.

My bedroom at the family home is still pretty much as I left it 25 years ago. On a long pelmet and two narrow shelves above were (I haven't counted them but) somewhere in the region of 225-250 miniatures.

I don't have a 'man cave' to decorate, we don't really have anywhere to display them, and unless any forum member fancies making me a worthwhile offer I see no alternative but to drink them.

Last night I only drank a Johnnie Walker red label and a Jack Daniels.

Tonight I've tried a grappa and an Amaretto di Saronno for the first and last times in my life.

I've also tried a Morton's blended whisky (unremarkable, I added dry ginger) and a Black Bottle whisky (very nice indeed, I drank that straight).

I will leave the single malts until my in-laws visit at Christmas, then they are going into a stocking and F-i-L and I will have a lucky dip.

Next up is some German herbal schnappsy thing .... wish me luck.

I think that's a fabulous :hat: to your mum M for keeping your room as is....very sweet indeed, drink em with pride and a rye smile to the heavens, or wherever you think most fondly of :drink: :thumb:

Went out for dinner tonight at a Harvester and had a coupe of pints of Pedigree because, although it was too cold and too fizzy, it was the only thing they had which vaguely resembled beer.

Came home, mixed a 'rusty nail' (Scotch & Drambuie - well it's the only thing that Glenfiddich's good for), then went into the box of miniatures and pulled out a Glenmorangie. I'll keep any good stuff until father-in-law arrives, although I've got two different Aberlours and may have to simplify that.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It can be hard clearing the house (we lost my m-i-l) just over a year ago. Had to clear and renovate the house (for us it worked for us to move in). I've now got about a dozen assorted bottles of spirits that were in her booze cupboard (the wine was vinegar). Slowly experimenting with them / drinking them. Had some assorted vodka which has now morphed into a coffee orange vodka liquer.

Doing a lucky dip seems like a fun thing to do. Many years ago I also collected miniatures, but unlike your mum, mine drank them eventually. :lol:

kentmark said:
I've now got about a dozen assorted bottles of spirits that were in her booze cupboard
The booze cupboard was the first thing I emptied - well my sister couldn't carry it all back to NZ.

Dad used to have a Scotch occasionally, but there were still 3 bottles in his wardrobe which he had been given as presents over the years, a Johnnie Walker black label, and unfortunately two Glenfiddichs, but I suppose someone needs to drink it.

The cabinet downstairs also held bottles gifted over the years, mostly unopened. A couple of brandies, a rum, two cream liqueurs which had set solid, Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Benedictine and Drambuie. It's a shame I didn't like that Amaretto but that's why I tried my miniature bottle before I opened the full sized one I found. Mother-in-Law might get that for Christmas.

Oh, and I also found a boxed and unopened Dimple Haig - suggestions please?

Sorry to hear about your sad loss Ade, but what a load of memories you must have got from the house, especially your bedroom that was more or less how you'd left all those years ago..

BB

Don't drink them...just seems a waste...maybe offer them to another collector, and if you really want to get shot of them ...put them on fleabay...anything that is collectable is sellable....or just drink them, they are yours (if that makes sense)

I have got Two minitures of Some 12 year old Whiskey that my Grandad gave me, one when my Daughter was born and one when my son was born.

My grandad passed away a few years ago now, but I plan to drink them when they each hit 18. A little reminder of him to the kids :cheers:

Scary thing is its only 6 years till my oldest hits 18, scarier than that is I will be 40 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hi Ade,

Sorry to hear about your loss, mate.

I too like Black Bottle whisky, it's my go to blend and I often take a bottle camping with me to keep in the stream overnight for... breakfast whisky :party:

I think you will enjoy the Dimple, my Dad worked in the Distilling industry and that was always the blend he had in to offer guests or just for a general dram after work. It's a pretty decent blend I think.

Enjoy,

DirtyC

johnnyboy1965 said:
Don't drink them...just seems a waste...maybe offer them to another collector, and if you really want to get shot of them ...put them on fleabay
I've looked on ebay, there are plenty of people attempting to sell empty miniatures but few attempting to sell full ones. No-one seems to want them though.

I may still keep some of the rarer whiskies for now. I neglected to mention that these haven't been dusted for 25 years.

mattyhall22 said:
Pearlfisher said:
Moley said:
Oh, and I also found a boxed and unopened Dimple Haig - suggestions please?
That reminds me of saving tanners in an empty one when I was very young.
Whats Dimple Haig? :?:
It was a 12 year old luxury blended whisky in a very distinctive and trademarked bottle.
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/twesea ... x?q=dimple

And thanks for making me google that, I think I'm going to ask what the Whisky Exchange will give me for it.

Incidentally, a 25 year old bottle of 12 year old whisky is still a 12 year old whisky.

Just drink it, mate.

If you do sell it though, I'd be interested to hear what you get for it.

Don't hold your breath, I've sent details and photos but received an automated response:
Please be aware that we are receiving a high volume of valuation requests every day so it may take up to 30 days to get back to you.
I did also have a miniature Dimple Haig so I tried that last night and thought it was quite good but not that great, so I'll wait and see what they offer.

Latest posts

Back