Stand well clear.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did mine in plastic 1gal DJs. If you put your ear to the DJ you can hear it fizzing like space dust :shock:

Im on my second batch and neither have produced a yeast head just a fine film of small bubbles around the edge and an audible fizz.

One of my tops wont seal properly and even though you can hear it and see small bubbles there is no popping from the air trap.

Just bottled my second batch :thumb: .
This was done without adding sugar to lower the ABV :cheers: .
It has more Vimto taste and should be more user friendly :party: .

Has the ABV calculater been updated????????. When i did the calculation for batch 1 it came in at 8.3% 1.075-1.002. Just done calculation for batch 2 1064-1001 came out at 8.3% :wha: re done calculation for batch 1 and it came out at over 9% :wha:

snail59 said:
Im New to this brewing lark so my advice wont be the best but I dont think an Ale yeast would be good for a TC .

Just out of interest what yeast did you use :? . Iv'e got some youngs wine yeast, will that do the trick? Iv'e always got apple & grape juice in to make Easy White Wine, I'll be having to get some vimto. :party:

Ok, I just couldn't wait ;) . Went into town & bought Vimto. When I got home I saw it was only 725ml instead of the 750 your recipe says. :eek: So I searched the forum & found a recipe that says
725ml Vimto
200g Sugar
4Ltr Apple juice
Nutrient
Yeast
Campden Tablets
Sorbate etc.
I used wine yeast. I don't know how to put photo's on so I didn't take one but the SG was 1080 :drunk: , & Mrs Cussword says she is going into the cellar everday to check for me, ain't that nice. Perhaps I shouldn't have let her taste the trial jar :grin:

Cussword said:
Mrs Cussword says she is going into the cellar everday to check for me, ain't that nice.
Tell her to leave the bloody stuff alone until it's stopped popping!
Every time you or she goes poking it with a hydrometer is an unnecessary risk of infection.

Moley said:
Tell her to leave the bloody stuff alone until it's stopped popping!
Every time you or she goes poking it with a hydrometer is an unnecessary risk of infection.
:lol: Her idea of checking is to give it a stroke & tell it hurry up. I've had to check the temp as it's bloody freezing in my cellar Approx 12C. so, it's on a heating pad surrounded by bubble wrap :thumb: Thanks MD I'll check that out & sort it for next time :drink:

Cussword said:
snail59 said:
Im New to this brewing lark so my advice wont be the best but I dont think an Ale yeast would be good for a TC .

Just out of interest what yeast did you use

I used Champagne yeast (other wise known as cider yeast) it was very fizzy and very nice :drunk:

The neighbours whant to know when the next batch will be ready :thumb:

Cussword said:
I used wine yeast. I don't know how to put photo's on so I didn't take one but the SG was 1080 :drunk: , & Mrs Cussword says she is going into the cellar everday to check for me, ain't that nice. Perhaps I shouldn't have let her taste the trial jar :grin:
Help!! :wha:
It's fermented for 5 days & it's SG 996 :shock: . Now, you could think that was good but, it's lost the vimto taste, it's more like a rose'. Is there a way to save this, or will I have to stop the next one sooner. :oops:
Also, if it can be fixed, which bottles, beer or wine?
Any help would be well recieved :roll:

:hmm: Seems you used a wine yeast then I think it may off stripped out the vimto flavour? By the sounds it's going to be a flat cider and it tastes like Rose then wine bottles. Next time try a ale yeast see if that improves it? You could boil a small amout of Vimto and add back into it that way sweetening and adding flavour..

muddydisco said:
You could boil a small amout of Vimto and add back into it that way sweetening and adding flavour..
:thumb: That was my first thought, but needed another opinion.
Will definately use ale yeast next time. :)

i made a batch of this 2 weeks ago and its good i used 2 bottles vinto and 3 ltrs of apple juice and bag of cane suger
this made 3 demjons big glass ones wich i only have 1 left lol

well ive just had a sip after 9 days and it tasts bl00dy awfull like cheap apple juice with a tang and very very sweet
any ideas what went wrong

mlovell30uk said:
i made a batch of this 2 weeks ago and its good i used 2 bottles vinto and 3 ltrs of apple juice and bag of cane suger
this made 3 demjons big glass ones wich i only have 1 left lol
how big where the vimto bottles
all i can taste is nasty apple juice

Have boiled 300ml of vimto down to 200, added that, campden tablet, sorbate, & left on the cellar floor to clear :pray: :). I'll let you know in a few days :whistle: . Thanks for the input. :thumb:

darrenwest1 said:
well ive just had a sip after 9 days and it tasts bl00dy awfull like cheap apple juice with a tang and very very sweet
any ideas what went wrong

Ive just sampled my 2nd batch and its great. Nice subtle vimto taste with a little cider after taste. Mine sit in DJ for 10 days then bottled and primed. 4 days in the warm Kitchen 4 days in the cool concervaotory. I use 750ml Vimto boiled (cordial not fizzy) 4lts Tesco 100% apple juice (from concentrate) Youngs Cider Yeast. thats it job done.

muddydisco said:
:hmm: Seems you used a wine yeast then I think it may off stripped out the vimto flavour? By the sounds it's going to be a flat cider and it tastes like Rose then wine bottles. Next time try a ale yeast see if that improves it? You could boil a small amout of Vimto and add back into it that way sweetening and adding flavour..

:party: It worked! came out at 9.7%, thanks for the advice. What yeast would you suggest? I'm still at the kit stage with beers ( no boiler yet :( ) so I would have to buy a specific one for the job.
:cheers:

Ive just started my 3rd batch of this today. This time ive used 6lts apple juice 1.5lts Vimto 2.5lts water to give an OG of 1.052. Im useing SO4 yeast this time to try and keep the abv down to make it more user friendly. :grin:

well i have left mine another week and it has lost all the vimto taste more like a cider any ideas please guys
i have more vimto if i can use this in any way

Latest posts

Back