Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christ on a bike this is a good brew. Personally I find it much better than the APA, which isn't bitter enough for me. This one has a lot of flavour and is really worth making.

Hello
These have hugely inconsistent sg.ranging from 1056 to 1080
I've spoke to Youngs and they say it's impossible....
But they do taste great.
Please post your starting gravity for comparison.
Thanks

So it seems. I read of of readings of 1080 etc but mine started off at 1052 brewed to 20L. 14 days in the FV brings it to 1008 and has been for a couple of days now which gives me 5.6%, though still a bit of fizz on the tongue so I will follow my own advice and leave it a few days longer. I nearly forgot to pitch the hops so done that today at 14days. I put them in a muslin bag to try and avoid a big cloudy mess !

Got it on the go this afternoon and started @ 1054 with 23 litres. Airlock Bubbling after a couple of hours although not so aggresively.

...and now it's bubbling twice a second and keeping me awake at night as you can hear it all over the house. I'm sure it'll be worth it. ...

Started mine ten days ago... and theres still a massive foamy head on the brew... looks like it might be a while in fv...

AAA finally cleared today and is the best thing I've brewed so far (I'm a newbie so not a vast experience). My sg was 1044 fg 1006. GREAT kit.

ORA went into primary yesterday. If the smell of the wort is anything to go by, it will also be amazing! My only worry with that one is that the oak chips (more like oak sawdust) are bound to get siphoned up. Should I filter it through fine muslin or something when it's ready to transfer?

Hi all,
I am a complete newby to homebrew ing and have chosen this youngs American ipa as my first ever brew

Forgive me if I do ask some basic. Questions but I guess we all have to learn somewhere, although I'm sore most of my questions have been answered elsewhere on the forum already.

Set this away tonight with a reading of 1054. (Sounds about right going off what other people have said. I have just followed the instructions to the letter.

The thermometer is currently showing 18-20 degrees so I'm hoping it's not 2 cold. I've the fermenter placed under the staircase as it will stay a constant temperature but fingers crossed it's not 2 cold

Cross your fingers for me that my first brew turns out ok. I will keep you posted with my progress.

Darren

Hi all,
I am a complete newby to homebrew ing and have chosen this youngs American ipa as my first ever brew

Forgive me if I do ask some basic. Questions but I guess we all have to learn somewhere, although I'm sore most of my questions have been answered elsewhere on the forum already.

Set this away tonight with a reading of 1054. (Sounds about right going off what other people have said. I have just followed the instructions to the letter.

The thermometer is currently showing 18-20 degrees so I'm hoping it's not 2 cold. I've the fermenter placed under the staircase as it will stay a constant temperature but fingers crossed it's not 2 cold

Cross your fingers for me that my first brew turns out ok. I will keep you posted with my progress.

Darren

18-20 is pretty much perfect:thumb:

10 days into fermentation for me and having pitched yeast at 22 it was steady at 20 for a few days and now 18. Bubbling dropped off quite markedly this morning to 27 second intervals. May take gravity reading tonight. I'm going to transfer to another fv if it gets down to 1007 and hop it there for 2 or 3 days before putting back in original fv and bottling. 1st fv has a tap! what does anyone think of the tatste? It smells quite floral at the moment.

Thanks for the reassurance in the temperature. Its nearly been 24hrs... Nothing so far but fingers crossed I'll have bubbles in a day or 2 :)

As for the hops ...Reading the instructions there pretty misleading, it states 2 days before bottling... But then I don't know when I'm going to bottle it as that will be when the gravity reading has stopped going up? Maybe I'm just getting confused, doesn't take much :)

As for the hops ...Reading the instructions there pretty misleading, it states 2 days before bottling... But then I don't know when I'm going to bottle it as that will be when the gravity reading has stopped going up? Maybe I'm just getting confused, doesn't take much :)

I don't think it will do any harm to hop it when it's finished fermenting then bottle it a couple of days later. If it gets down to near 1.007 and stays the same gravity for 3 consecutive days I would go for it then.

Mine will be transferred to another FV then hopped, left for a couple of days and bottled. Mine was down to 1.012 today and has an interesting, bitter taste with floral aroma and still hints of sweetness. Can't wait to taste it after dry hopping and carbonating. Should be a good 'un.

Thanks for the reassurance in the temperature. Its nearly been 24hrs... Nothing so far but fingers crossed I'll have bubbles in a day or 2:)

Has it started yet? I aerated mine loads before pitching the yeast and gave it a gentle stir in and it started bubbling after a couple of hours. By the next day it was going crazy (started at 22 degrees).

Fingers crossed it will get going soon.

Nothing as yet. The glass half full side of me is telling me not to worry but I can't help but thik something might be up. Like I say this is my first time so I'ts all a little new and a learning curve. I've a slightly warmer cupboard upstairs, I might move it there if nothing there by tmoro, what do you think?
Yous is sounding good.

Both my apa and ipa took over 24 hours to get going. Normally my brews are underway in a few hours...
They've been fine since and still bubbling, although the apa is slowing at day 17...
Be patient!
Ps my room is pretty much a constant 23 degrees, so I should expect a quickish ferment. These are taking their time though.

48hrs.... Still nothing visible

I think I might need to stop panicking and just cross my fingers haha

Latest posts

Back