turbo cider/raspberry.. first attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alcoholx, have you seen the yeast that some people are using to create a sweeter cider? I can't find a link for it off hand, but I'm sure Roddy tried it so he may be able to help. Personally I like it dry and although I brew beer I like the odd cider on a hot day.

cheapbrew, I think your mate is right. I syphoned off 4 litres of so of my last cider and primed it with blackcurrant. The blackcurrant taste was negligible in
the final product. I pretty much decided then that to get a flavoured cider the syrup would have to be added at the start.

I did do an experiment a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had time to write it up. Basically using a syrup / cordial which had preservatives in. Took ages to get going. I'll see how it goes. I just had a theory which I wanted to test.

I've done one close to two weeks ago now using No added sugar squash , 750ml of it boiled over and added to 3.5l of apple juice and it is amazing so close to supermarket cider, I opened a small bottle last night and my brother was amazed that it tasted so good but in the other hand he tasted my festive one and said it was ****e [emoji15][emoji15][emoji85][emoji85]

Defo suggest using squash if you are going for a sweet cider [emoji106]

I had considered this.. will definitely give it a go.. was 750ml of squash not to strong?..
I was thinking of using a no sugar apple squash or boil some lemonade instead of water to make use of the sweetners, sounds like it worked well for you

No I thought it was okay but it will be a individual thing I suppose

Definitely try it if a sweet cider is your thing I used the sweetened yeast with this batch that some people have been using there's a thew threads on it [emoji106]

I've had three of my rasp tc today and adding three capfuls of syrup and pinch of sugar per bottle and it goes down well :grin:

and its got me into thinking of trying a straight apple juice no syrup one coz its a nice buzz but I don't like fruity tasting cider and without the syrup it could be ok cider and I will also experiment further with the syrup and squash ones for the ladies.

I have tried a flavoured cider yoo. I used Robinsons apple and blackcurrant squash that i had hanging around. I boiled 250ml of it with 3.5l apple juice, mug of tea, yeast nutrient and yeast.

I tried some over Xmas, although it was nice it was too sweet for me with just a hint of blackcurrant.

I've also tried a strawberry one which i really like. For that i used 1l Ribena strawberry juice drink. But had to add sweetener. My other half really likes the strawberry one. I need to make some more.

Was it sweet at the end? Would you recommend to use more syrup to make it sweeter or syrup and sugar ? I am fermenting On the Rocks strawberry and lime and would like to get it sweet and with rich flavour?

If you use the no added sugar squash then it will come out sweet. My blackcurrant one was quite sweet that i used this method on.

Has anyone tried sweetening theirs with lactose sugar? Mine needs something and i dont like artificial sweeteners.
Silly question... Maybe. ..

I don't have any cider yeast and won't be able to get any before the weekend, but want to start my turbo cider off this evening.

Can I use my Youngs Super wine yeast.

I know I can, really the question is should I?

What issues will I face if I do?

Silly question... Maybe. ..

I don't have any cider yeast and won't be able to get any before the weekend, but want to start my turbo cider off this evening.

Can I use my Youngs Super wine yeast.

I know I can, really the question is should I?

What issues will I face if I do?

IMO it would be a very dry cider, as wine can get to a very low FG
But room for a high abv :twisted:

Have done two turbo's, one raspberry(syrup) and one mixed berry, raspberry,chokeberry and blueberry(syrups) and fermented with sparkling wine yeast. Both finished nice and clear, raspberry around 7% and mixed berry around 8.5%:whistle:, however both very very dry. Mixed berry had more flavour and nose, i added hops to it as well.
Would do mixed berry again but would try sweetening it prior to bottling and perhaps use a cider yeast instead.

I put another couple of dj's on the go the other day, one with a bottle of raspberry lowicz and one with a bottle of summer fruits squash.

These two I did, one with a bottle of raspberry lowicz and one with a bottle of summer fruits squash.came out really quite well, so my daughter and her friend bought more ingredients to do them again, a squash one for my daughter and a Lowicz one for her friend

Squash one isn't as nice a colour but it's sweeter, Lowicz one looks nicer colour but is drier and stronger as it has the same sugar from apple juice plus the sugar in the lowicz.

I prefer the plain TC's but I think if I did a two DJ size batch and used a bottle of squash and a bottle of Lowicz it would be a nice colour and taste sweet enough.

Back