whatever happened to the likely lads

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
on drama of all channels now! drinking a mild by looks of it. and talking about quires in a light hearted manner

Love the likely lads. Appeals to my love of nostalgia as they are always harking back to 'the old days'. IMHO one of the best series of its day.

men behaving badly have a shout too

I think Rodney Bewes became a fisherman in Cornwall some years ago.
Great series, that we were always riveted too.

I adore that show as well. Such a shame they fell out. Black and white show was good as well.

Yes, big shame. Just imagine a really well written "Whatever Happened to Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads"

I've googled in the past and the only reasons I've found for their falling out were on one occasion Rodney let slip that James's wife was preggers in an interview.
Seems very innocuous but apparently James Bolam is a very very private person and he objected strongly to Rodney blabbing about it.

The other reason I'd seen was that Rodney rather let success get to his head and turned into a massive party animal. He would turn up hugely late for filming, hungover, still drunk and couldn't be bothered with reading his lines.

James Bolam who is supposed to be a bit of a perfectionist was so angry at his messing around he just refused to talk to him on set and continued ti ignore him IRL.

We know James Bolam went into serious acting 'When t'booatt comesin' etc but what happened to Rodders? Can't recall seeing him in anything after Likely Lads.

Yes, big shame. Just imagine a really well written "Whatever Happened to Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads"

I've googled in the past and the only reasons I've found for their falling out were on one occasion Rodney let slip that James's wife was preggers in an interview.
Seems very innocuous but apparently James Bolam is a very very private person and he objected strongly to Rodney blabbing about it.

The other reason I'd seen was that Rodney rather let success get to his head and turned into a massive party animal. He would turn up hugely late for filming, hungover, still drunk and couldn't be bothered with reading his lines.

James Bolam who is supposed to be a bit of a perfectionist was so angry at his messing around he just refused to talk to him on set and continued ti ignore him IRL.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1252389/Whatever-happened-likely-lad.html

Jimmy told told me he'd been driving along the Fulham Road and his wife Su had turned to him and said: '"Jimmy, you know Daphne had three babies at once. . . well I'm just having the one!" Poor old Jimmy was so surprised he mounted the kerb and nearly hit a lamppost.
article-1252389-0861010F000005DC-370_233x381.jpg

James Bolam stars as a crack detective in hit TV show 'New Tricks'

'It just sort of slipped out in an interview I did - that happens to me a lot. . . But it was a funny story, a sweet story, not about some girl in a nightclub or something and no one should have been offended.

'But Jimmy was always so precious about stuff like that and when I saw it in the paper on the Sunday, I knew I'd messed up and I called to apologise. But he was furious, absolutely livid and slammed down the phone on me.'

We know James Bolam went into serious acting 'When t'booatt comesin' etc but what happened to Rodders? Can't recall seeing him in anything after Likely Lads.

Rodney Bewes went back to Theatre and had a very succesful one man show for many years, I think he still does it from time to time, doesn't make a lot of money but still going.

the Likely lads is never repeated on TV very often as James Bolam refused permission as he doesn't want to be typecast by it and doesn't need the money even if Rodney does. Just goes to show never get on the bad side of a mackem* that holds a grudge.

* He is NOT a Geordie as most people think he was born in Sunderland AND he hates the north East and has said so in press interviews.

shame james would take this to heart to this extent? although saying that my old man can hold a grudge for a while. some people let things get too far and it looks even more personal than need be

R.I.P Rodney Bewes.
I wonder if bolam will just give him a last farewell by going to his funeral. Seems such a daft reason to hold a grudge all this time.
It's not even.worth writing it down.
He even prevented re runs of the show . What an arsehole

Rodney Bewes showed up in quite a few films such as Billy Liar and Jabberwocky.

He was always "the likeable one" of The Likely Lads and without him much of the excellent writing would have been lost.

Sadly missed. Rodney Bewes R.I.P.

The likely lads and whatever happened,both great shows and i watch them whenever they get repeated:thumb:
Pure nostalgia for me

R.I.P Rodney Bewes.
I wonder if bolam will just give him a last farewell by going to his funeral. Seems such a daft reason to hold a grudge all this time.
It's not even.worth writing it down.
He even prevented re runs of the show . What an arsehole

To be fair, I've heard a number of interviews with Bolam since Bewes passing and he has said he didn't have any argument with him and he certainly didn't prevent any repeats from running, pointing out that 'how would he?' the latter of which seems plausible, especially as I've seen it repeatedly on various terrestrial and cable channels. Perhaps they did fall out, perhaps not.

Either was, RIP indeed. Heard a play from 1981 on BBC R4 extra last night starting Bewes that was proper funny, despite being dated. Part two is next week. Worth searching for on iPlayer if you like radio plays. (God, how old do I sound! In my defense, I spend hours on the road as part of my job, lol)

Back