1st WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFanatic

Reaction score
Hi all. Brewed my first Supermarket juice WOW tonight.

2ltrs Tesco Apple & Mango Juice
220ml Wilkos WGJ concentrate
Cup of 3 stewed TBAGS
1kg Sugar
1 tsp Young super wine yeast
1 tsp Young Yeast Nutrient
1tbsp Citric Acid *
1tbsp Pectalose *

SG was 1.100 before I pitched the yeast.

** made a mistake when using the right spoons. Supposed to be tsp but used tbsp by accident. How will this affect the brew?

I have put it all into a 5ltr Tesco Ashbeck water bottle and airlocked it. Is this necessary or do I just loosely fit the lid?

Any advice/feedback is welcomed. Cheers

WOW!

If you have used Tablespoons instead of Teaspoons for these ...

1 tsp Young super wine yeast
1 tsp Young Yeast Nutrient

... I would put the bottle in a sink and make sure that the plughole is available for use because the fermentation will probably be "vigorous"!

I would very loosely fit the lid for 48 hours at least and then fit the air-lock if you still have anything left in the bottle. :lol: :lol:

Apart from a vigorous fermentation and the possible loss of volume down the plughole, everything else should be just fine! :thumb: :thumb:

The yeast and nutrients are measured correctly as they were added last and i had realised my mistake by then.

Still interested to know if the mistake will affect my wine long term?

I have checked the FV this morning and all looks good, about an inch of krausen on the top and no activity in the airlock so it's not completely airtight. Im going to my LHBS today and will be getting some glass demijohns so i can use one of these when i move onto secondary fermentation.

I need a bit of advice. What is the actual process from start of brew to end? I've seen the WOW thread but it just lists ingredients.

How long is primary fermentation usually, and secondary? Do i rack into 2nd FV? How many times do i rack in total before leaving it in a DJ to clear? When do i add a campden tablet?

Cheers

I don't think the pectolace will be a problem but you have used 3 times more acid than you should have, only time will tell if it is drinkable.

You say

I need a bit of advice. What is the actual process from start of brew to end? I've seen the WOW thread but it just lists ingredients.

I assume you read the recipe only version of the thread, this is the full version with video - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

How long is primary fermentation usually, and secondary? Do i rack into 2nd FV? How many times do i rack in total before leaving it in a DJ to clear? When do i add a campden tablet?

There is no set time but roughly 7 - 10 days before fermentation has finished then you rack onto a crushed campden tablet, degas, add fermentation stopper (wine stabiliser) then finings if you don't want it to clear naturally, i used KwiK Clear which will clear it in 24 - 48 hours.

I have all the ingredients I need besides the finings. In technical terms is that Betonite?

There are many different types of fining here are a few - http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Finings.html

I have used a few different finings and have found KwiK Clear and Youngs Clear It are the fastest and easiest (two bottles of liquid) to use, i have never used Bentonite.

download.jpg

Hi all. I tested the SG today and it was down to 1.016 down from 1.100. It tastes rather good already although still quite sweet.
Question. There is still an inch or so thick krausen on the top. I suspect that when the SG goes under 1.000 it will still be there. How do I go about degassing finings etc? As far as I know if I mix in the krausen it will add a bitter taste? Also surprisingly it doesn't taste acidic at all considering I added too much citric acid

I had a similar situation with two DJs of Apple & Plum Jam that I fermented into wine.

To get a wine that could be bottled I syphoned off just the clear section between the krausen and the yeast using a syphon tube with a valve on the bottom (so that I could control the flow) and sliding the end of the tube down the side of the DJ where I could observe what was entering.

The CO2 in the wine caused the syphoning action to break a couple of times but perseverance saved the day and the result is a superb wine! :thumb: :thumb:

Hi all. I tested the SG today and it was down to 1.016 down from 1.100. It tastes rather good already although still quite sweet.
Question. There is still an inch or so thick krausen on the top. I suspect that when the SG goes under 1.000 it will still be there. How do I go about degassing finings etc? As far as I know if I mix in the krausen it will add a bitter taste? Also surprisingly it doesn't taste acidic at all considering I added too much citric acid

Mango is one of the juices that tends to be sourced from puree, this is what will probably be causing the thicker krausen. Rack the wine to a clean DJ to continue the next steps leaving as much of the crud behind as you can.

How do I go about degassing finings etc? As far as I know if I mix in the krausen it will add a bitter taste? Also surprisingly it doesn't taste acidic at all considering I added too much citric acid

Dutto has covered avoiding the sediment, don't worry if you do get a bit in the clean DJ as it will settle again and it's easy to avoid when bottling.

You need to rack to another DJ onto a crushed Camden tablet, degas then add stabiliser and fining.

Dutto has covered avoiding the sediment, don't worry if you do get a bit in the clean DJ as it will settle again and it's easy to avoid when bottling.

You need to rack to another DJ onto a crushed Camden tablet, degas then add stabiliser and fining.

is it enough to just use a campden tablet to kill off the yeast and stop fermentation?

No it will stun it but will not kill it, Camden tablets are used to stop the wine spoiling once bottled, stabiliser (fermentation stopper) will kill the yeast.

Checked the SG last night and it was down to 1.006. Looks like it will be finished within this week. Airlock is slowly bubbling still. Once it's down to 0.998 or below I will degass it then rack it onto a new DJ, topping up slightly then adding stabiliser and then finings before leaving for a week to clear.

Checked the SG last night and it was down to 1.006. Looks like it will be finished within this week. Airlock is slowly bubbling still. Once it's down to 0.998 or below I will degass it then rack it onto a new DJ, topping up slightly then adding stabiliser and then finings before leaving for a week to clear.

Take a taste at .998 as it may still be to sweet for you, you don't want to stop it until you are happy with the dry/medium/sweet feel of it, if you ferment it down until its to dry you can always backsweeten where as having something thats too sweet and stabilised is a lot more work to try to fix.

I taste it everytime I test the S.G. so I have an idea on the levels of sweetness/dryness.

If it is somewhere between 0.998 - 1.002 and I find it just right will it be ok to move onto next stage? Or if it's still slightly sweet can I rack it into a clean DJ just to get it off the Lees and remove the krausen?

You can rack it at just about anytime you want, all you tend to do though is give yourself more work and increase the chance of contamination, its best left to racking it when you are happy with the gravity/ABV and you are ready to move onto the stabilising/degassing/fining stage. The only wines i have left for secondary fermentation our the medium priced wine kits which have bentonite added to them at the start of fermentation.

If I topped up to the neck with water after racking and degassing will it affect the wine much?

No, i have done this for years but recently decided to top up with a litre of apple juice split between the DJ's then water to finish (after stabilising) it gives it that little bit extra taste and a bit more sweetness.

I have added 1 tsp of wilkos wine stabiliser. How long do I wait now before adding Kwik Clear? And water of course

Degas after you have stabilised, if its a 1 gallon DJ and you are in any physical shape a vigourous shaking will suffice 3 or 4 times over 10 mins, you can start adding finings after that.

Latest posts

Back