1st WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to tell from your photo but it does look ok to bottle now, when it is bright and you can easily see daylight thru it then you are good to go instead of being a murky half light.

Because it tastes so good. And I mean like quality good. Easily pay £8 for a bottle of this and be happy, I would rather it be clearer. In a glass I can see it's very clear but still slightly hazy.
I want to leave it in the DJ for another week or two to clear some more. Is this safe and should I remove the airlock or leave it?

Another note to add. This is all despite that I added the wrong dosages at the beginning, particularly concerning 1tbsp of citric acid!

It may be my 1st ever WOW, but if they will all be of this quality I would strongly recommend anyone to do it. It's so cheap.

Congrats. I just did my first and it turned out well but not quite so well, purely as I didn't use pectolase, I think. I'm happy to drink it, but the ladies are nervous as it's not as clear as they are used to. I hope someone experienced can say if we need a little more pectolase or a little more patience before bottling or something else?

Supermarket juice wine normally clears in 48 hours max when using Kwik clear, did you degas it thoroughly?

I have a degassing wand that i use with my drill. I 'drilled' the wine back and forth every minute or so for about 15mins. Is this enough?

Also what dosage of quick clear do you use? I use 2ml of each bottle per gallon

I have tried many variations of juice combinations and all have been very drinkable. :thumb:

Usually a couple of mins with a wand is enough, or just shake the DJ with your hand over the top a dozen or so times, 1ml of each A and B of Kwik clear is enough for most but the stubborn ones

I degas a few seconds forward a few seconds reverse for about a minute, i also use 2ml of Kwik clear, strange your wine is being so stubborn.

Try sticking it in the fridge for a few days, cooling it down can help with the clearing.

I have racked it into another clean DJ and did another dosage of kwik clear. It's already got a fair bit of sediment on the bottom and clearing a bit more.

Havent got the space to put it in the fridge i think, SWMBO probably wouldnt like it either.

Tomorrow im going to bottle it regardless of the results now i think. It tastes fine.

Now you have added the extra KK and degassed it it should clear on its own without the fridge, you are meant to put it in as cool a place as you can to help it clear, i leave mine where it fermented and it always works.

All my brews ferment in the shed. It's currently around 18 Celsius.

Not sure what im going to do once winter comes lol

It's clearing nicely so far. A bed of sediment on the bottom too. I have attached the previous one for comparison as well

20160820_202916.jpg

20160819_210712.jpg

Looking good, i have never made anything i have not drunk and have polished off numerous bottles of cloudy wine with no harm done, looks as if finally you are going to get your crystal clear wine bottled.

I don't mind it slightly cloudy either. I'm just being fussy I think. It tastes good. I'm bottling to.orrow anyway.
Will I get a small amount of sediment in the bottom of bottles?

Only if you draw it into the bottles, I'm leaving about 400ml in the DJ when i rack and i top this up with water to get back to 6 bottles, slightly more sugar at the start compensates for any loss in ABV when you top up.

Soo. Finally bottled tonight. Got 4 bottles plus 600ml extra that I decanted.

As you can see from the attached pictures it is crystal clear.

Now on to the review. It is absolutely delicious. However, I can't really taste any mango. It tastes strongly (being as sweet as it is) very much like a sweet German wine but with hints of apple. It certainly packs a punch as a glass of it went straight to my head.

Starting SG was 1.100 and ended at 1.000 giving me 13% ABV even though I topped up with water.

All in all, a great result and I will soon i will brew 5 gallons of the stuff. Anyone out there has any doubts? Don't, it's well worth it.

20160821_171310.jpg

20160821_171328.jpg

20160821_172135.jpg

Back