Grocer Booths up for sale for between £130m-£150m

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For those not in the know Booths are similar in price and quality to M&S, we really didn't need an over priced supermarket in our town and rumours have already started that the discounters could be interested i hope they are right.

Upmarket family-run supermarket chain reported to have brought in advisers from investment bank to consider bids

The upmarket grocery chain Booths has reportedly been put up for sale for between £130m-£150m

Owned by the same family for five generations since tea dealer Edwin Henry Booth opened the first store in Blackpool in 1847, the supermarket chain has 28 locations across the north of England in Lancashire, Cheshire, Cumbria and Yorkshire.

The company, led by its executive chairman and chief executive, Edwin Booth, 62, has brought in advisers from the investment bank Rothschild to consider takeover bids, according to the Sunday Times. The family still hold 96% of the company’s shares; the remainder are owned by the staff.

Booths had earlier this year been forced to call in accountants to conduct a financial health check after a difficult 18 months. The company was badly hit by Storm Desmond in December 2015, which caused damage to several of its stores. It made an annual loss in the 12 months to the end of March 2016, the latest annual results available.

Read more - https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ths-up-for-sale-says-report-supermarket-chain

My grandma lives in Barrow, has done for 70 years or so, and my dad still pops into the Ulverston store and buys all the Cumberland sausage they have on the day he leaves after a visit. So long as they don't change that recipe I don't think anyone in my family is going to complain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to say, i have a bit of a soft spot for Boothes. Reminds me of visiting my grandma in leyland when i was small. Very distinctive smell (nice smell!) It seems to habe moved a nit more into the high end than it used to be but is quitr proud of its northern roots.

I popped into a Booths today when I was up in Lancashire. .looking at a dog for the Mrs. ..don't ask!!
A nice supermarket to be fair. Very individual and a great selection of local beers too.

They also sell dogs?

I think he meant he popped into Booth's whilst in Lancashire looking for a dog. or maybe he was after buying a sausage dog ( aka sausage roll around here). But maybe not, cos 'around here' isn't Lancashire. I know he said not to ask but.. Clint??

The problem with Booths is they are too expensive they sell quality stuff and a lot of it is local but you pay a premium price for it, we haven't shopped there for a number of years but the wife does pop in from time to time for a few bits as its not far away and nothing has changed price wise, we need a discounter in this town as we only have CO-OP and a Tesco satellite so have to either travel to the nearest big town (Barrow) or shop online i would rather spend my money here and with luck non of the Booths staff will be out of work long if the rumours are true and a supermarket is going to buy it.

Booths is a great supermarket, they sell great quality products but their prices are very high - almost certainly too high for their business model to continue as is. They could well be bought out by Waitrose / John Lewis and rebranded as they target the same demographic. I think they even share some distribution centres with Waitrose, though I may be mistaken there.

They definitely have the best beer selection of any supermarket chain in the UK.

Latest posts

Back