Where to drill...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElChemist

Absolute numpty...
Reaction score
Okay, please see the attached picture and can someone tell me where it's best to drill the Hole for the tap to be fitted? I have a 12inch bazooka to go on the back endso wanna make sure I have a smallish dead space if possible...

I have the 20mm cobalt holes away and auger ready to rock, just confused as to how low I should drill.

Gracias compadres.

Chem

19e7e1c25d260face640b156ec37ac5c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Okay, please see the attached picture and can someone tell me where it's best to drill the Hole for the tap to be fitted? I have a 12inch bazooka to go on the back endso wanna make sure I have a smallish dead space if possible...

I have the 20mm cobalt holes away and auger ready to rock, just confused as to how low I should drill.

Gracias compadres.

Chem

19e7e1c25d260face640b156ec37ac5c.jpg

I have a 3 piece SS tap with a hole centre about 5 cms from the bottom of my 100 litre pot. My dead volume in 200-250mls

it really depends on the shape of your bazooka and if you need to leave space for a bend or elbow to fit it onto the tap, include that in your estimation.

The bazooka is a straight screw fit so the only way out for the wort is gonna be through that hole. I'm assuming that means the Hole needs to be as low as possible.

Picture of tap and zooka below.

fc82377c2bec562a388929b44dc355d1.jpg

As low as possible, pretty much yes.

Once I had made mine I changed my manifold for a false bottom type grid that did not fit properly due to no room for an elbow so sometimes there is a bit of benefit in allowing just a cm or so clearance from the bottom just in case you want to change later.

+1 with that hop filter option as low as possible to minimise deadspace..

fwiw in my 100l pots ive used 1/2" bsp taps n fittings and use a SS elbow pointing downwards with its open lip circa 1mm off the base, with a hop spider this lets me drain the full volume with a slight forward tip.

for cutting the hole, unless your familiar with drilling through SS i would suggest a qmax cutter to be the easiest solution, if using a large bore drill bit use a cutting paste or oil to stop the pot work hardening before the cut is made..

Latest posts

Back