Hop sock experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was bottling my latest brew this week and couldn't but help notice the amount of large hop debris going into each bottle. I don't have the facility to cold crash so suspended mater is always a problem with late hop additions. I also always bottle straight from a tap at the bottom of the FV.
So this time I tied a sterilised small fine hop sock (left over from a kit brew) over the tap and ran the beer into a jug, 5 litres at a time and then filled my bottles up.
The upshot of this was I was amazed how much crud the sock caught, and that each bottle had no bits floating around within. I consider this a vast improvement over previous bottling days and the way forward for me at least. Just thought I would share my experience, which may be of use to other forum members.

I was bottling my latest brew this week and couldn't but help notice the amount of large hop debris going into each bottle. I don't have the facility to cold crash so suspended mater is always a problem with late hop additions. I also always bottle straight from a tap at the bottom of the FV.
So this time I tied a sterilised small fine hop sock (left over from a kit brew) over the tap and ran the beer into a jug, 5 litres at a time and then filled my bottles up.
The upshot of this was I was amazed how much crud the sock caught, and that each bottle had no bits floating around within. I consider this a vast improvement over previous bottling days and the way forward for me at least. Just thought I would share my experience, which may be of use to other forum members.

That's one method to reduce hop debris. :thumb:

The good thing is there's bound to be a method that suits you.

I use a hop bag in the FV and rack to a bottling bucket(BB) with a bottling stick so no jug, and no hop particles. That works best for me as it automatically mixed the priming sugar solution in the BB. You could stick a hop bag on the end of the syphon but I've found that slows the mixing down in the BB.
or even stuff a bit of hop bag into a long funnel for an easy pour.

that's the fun with brewing plenty of choices!

Indeed DOJ, its really a matter of finding a system that suits the individual and gives replicable results. Interestingly, Ive got a 10l batch to bottle in the week, and I can fit that in my fridge, so Im going to cold crash that one and just see if it a makes a difference....onwards and upwards

One of the threads on here showed a fine mesh tube that is meant for fishing tanks that fits perfectly over a syphon. I'm going to try that for my next one. Not entirely sure it would work for bottling though.

Back