Stainless steel pot quality

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndl

Reaction score
Hello good people of Brewland,

I found a few places here in UK to source a stainless steel pot. Apparently most of the shops get their pots from the same manufacturer (so it looks like). Most of the pots look like this:
21l-stainless-steel-pot.jpg

While some of the ebay sellers from continental Europe sell pots like this:
$_1.GIF

Notice the difference in the handles and lids.

Price wise it's very similar to the ones in UK - 130-140 squid for 50L+70L delivered.

Has anyone tried these in the 2nd image? Is the quality any different?

Thanks!

I got my pot direct from Bergland who are a German company. 33 litre pot delivered for £40 I believe, I'm sure they do bigger pots also.

I've now bought two of the ones in the second image (come in boxes actually branded Yoxu) and I think they came from Italy. Very, very pleased with them.

Interested in this, any links? thinking of a 50l stainless pot myself.

I got my pot direct from Bergland who are a German company. 33 litre pot delivered for �£40 I believe, I'm sure they do bigger pots also.

STAR! 50L+70L pots were £83 (incl. delivery!). Shops here in UK are a rip off.

With Stainless Steel Stockpots, you get what you pay for. Its all about the thickness/gauge of the steel. I use a 50lt everyday at work, and we worked it out that it is at least 15 years old. That`s 5475 brews and its still in perfect working order. Just checked on the Nisbitts website and it costs £160.00 plus VAT...so just short of £200.00. I think that this is a bit "overkill" for a HB`er.
A few years back I bought a 50l stockpot in aluminium for £80.00 and is still in original condition.

@Rogermort @Brightonnik

Do you remember what grade and thickness steel the ones you mentioned above were? Just trying to get some perspective before I go looking. The Buckingham steel ones you always see on ebay and amazon seem very thin

Why? Can you elaborate on this? How does it make a difference?

(Not saying it doesn't, just can't quite fathom how)
Thicker the metal the less likely you are to get stuff burning on the bottom. Long term the less likelyhood of getting holes developing due to corrosion, and if you think stainless steel doesn't corrode you want to see the state of our ss spoons after 24 years of very soft water.
BTW I bought a 19L Buckingham stockpot as a backup in case my electric boiler packs in mid brew - and it doesn't look too bad to me. Hopefully I'll never have to use it!

Ok, interesting. Could be a consideration if I ever move from kitchen has hob to paella burner.

Any idea if the sides tend to be thicker too? (It would reduce heat loss through the sides)

Ok, interesting. Could be a consideration if I ever move from kitchen has hob to paella burner.

Any idea if the sides tend to be thicker too? (It would reduce heat loss through the sides)

Yeah that's why I'd like something decent, that what @Cwrw666 mentioned

I saw on one of the other posts about about brands but was just trying to find a few more that people tried and teated

Latest posts

Back