Hose diameter for counter flow chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm planning on making a counter flow wort chiller and wanted to check what diameter hose to use. I'm planning on using 8mm flexible copper pipe for the wort. I believe that 8mm is the external diameter so I'm hoping that standard garden hose with a 12.5mm internal diameter should be OK.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

There is a video up on youtube showing a homemade CF chiller being made, it maybe worth a look for some ideas.

I made one yesterday with 10mm pipe. I used standard hose pipe for the connection. ..the clips needed quite a bit of tightening to stop the drips...I think 8mm will be too narrow for standard hose. Mine is pretty but used it earlier and it worked a treat!

Cheers

Clint

I made one yesterday with 10mm pipe. I used standard hose pipe for the connection. ..the clips needed quite a bit of tightening to stop the drips...I think 8mm will be too narrow for standard hose. Mine is pretty but used it earlier and it worked a treat!

Cheers

Clint

Thanks Clint, just to be clear, are you talking about the hosing that goes around the outside of the copper pipe or the hose you use to connect to the water supply?

I was asking about the hose which goes around the copper pipe.

I've ended up going with standard garden hose as they were flogging it in Asda for £5 for 10m which is exactly what I need.

The hose is both....I just used jubilee clips to connect 2 x 1.5 m pieces to the ends and fixed a female standard hose connection to one which fits to the mixer tap adapter. The other hose piece is as is. The reason for the shorter lengths is because at the moment I brew in the kitchen with a 15 l pot and shift it to the sink for chilling. When I move to a big pot in the garage it's will extend the pipes you reach my out door tap/drain.

Cheers

Clint

Latest posts

Back