A bargain?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's yeast as in yeast to make beer with though is it?
I've never seen it sold like that before.

• Recommended Allowance
    1 - 2 Tbsp per day; may be added to food or dissolved in juice or water
  • Ingredients
    Yeast, Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide); Gluten; Preservative (Sulphur Dioxide)
  • Storage
    Store in a cool dry place away from sunlight.
  • Allergen Information
    Packed on premises that handles nuts, seeds, cereals, soya & products containing gluten.

I agree, I don't think this would work for brewing beer. I suspect is is more like a bye product of brewing that has been dried out and sold as a food supplement. If they have used high temperatures and chemicals to dry it out then who knows what condition the yeast are in. It is also not going to be a sterile culture so you could be introducing tons of bacteria too.

It is yeast, but the question is viability. Will work as yeast nutrient, and you'll have enough for about 100 brews.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

It is yeast, but the question is viability. Will work as yeast nutrient, and you'll have enough for about 100 brews.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

This ^ is essentially my question, summarised by Sadfield. It is yeast; yeast is often sold as a health supplement because it contains loads of vitamin B and other stuff. But I've never seen *brewers* yeast sold as a health supplement.

So my question, in a nutshell, is can we use it for brewing? Because if so, I saw 11g of Nottingham at the same price as 250g of this, so it could be a right bargain. But only if it's viable. I suspect it's probably not, but thought it was worth asking.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

This ^ is essentially my question, summarised by Sadfield. It is yeast; yeast is often sold as a health supplement because it contains loads of vitamin B and other stuff. But I've never seen *brewers* yeast sold as a health supplement.

So my question, in a nutshell, is can we use it for brewing? Because if so, I saw 11g of Nottingham at the same price as 250g of this, so it could be a right bargain. But only if it's viable. I suspect it's probably not, but thought it was worth asking.

Cheap enough for a punt, a starter will give a clue on viability, if not 250g of yeast nutrient is still a bargain at that price. Another point occurred to me though, and that is what you pay for with Nottingham is the guarantee of less than 1 bacteria or wild yeast cell in 1million yeast cells, with this I would not be so confident. :lol:

Fair point. There's no reason this would be any more sanitary than your average bag of cereal, which I'm assuming most of you would not advise adding to a brew without boiling?

if you want to save a bit of cash on yeast, buy the 11g sachet of nottingham, Then harvest the sediment from the brew bucket once used.
if its an ag brew heavy with trub give it a water wash (google for details ), then stash 100-200ml of yeast slurry in a sterile jamjar at the back of the fridge for the next brew,

And repeat..

you can look into simple glycol additions to the slurry to enable freezer storage for a longer shelf life, and build up smaller samples in starters to make your harvests go further.

I would be surprised if there are any viable cells left in this product because I suspect its waste yeast from a brewery dried with excessive heat, but I could be wrong and we are all paying well over the odds for what essentially just this.

While researching different strains of brewer's yeast, I came across this:

https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/brewers-yeast-250g.html?gclid=CLzG9-_z4tQCFe-w7QodBqINoA

Is this a bargain, or am I an idiot? Because I'm fairly certain it's one of the two.

I may be wrong but as others have said I think its a byproduct (waste) from larger breweries trub maybe.

If you are wanting to save money on yeast try top cropping, I do this & have used the same yeast for 8 months and its still going strong. I think the type of yeast you choose initially makes a difference @MyQul might be able to offer advice on that.

The yeast I used was WYeast Activator 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Yeast the thread describes the yeast & the process of top cropping, its really simple although the initial cost of the yeast had me in tears, �£8-10 if I recall correctly, although I am sure there are cheaper yeasts that will suit the purpose.

If you want to save money on yeast just re-use it. Smileyr8 has outlined one of the best methods to re-use yeast more or less indefinately, by top cropping. Another excellent way to re-use yeast is by over building. In the below link brulospher has 'overbuilt' at least 13 times without adverse effect. I've read comment that some people think that you can overbuild indefinately

http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/

If you want to save money on yeast just re-use it. Smileyr8 has outlined one of the best methods to re-use yeast more or less indefinately, by top cropping. Another excellent way to re-use yeast is by over building. In the below link brulospher has 'overbuilt' at least 13 times without adverse effect. I've read comment that some people think that you can overbuild indefinately

http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/

Im still using a WB-06 that has got to be at least 4 years old. I do doubt that it is still the original strain

Back