A Useful Resource: How To Brew, by John Palmer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just came across this, which seems to be a book that has been reproduced in it's entirety online. Seems a very useful resource for beginner brewers, like me; so I thought I'd share for my fellow newbies.

http://howtobrew.com/

It is an excellent book. I believe the online version is just the first edition but still very useful. I ended up buying the most recent version in book form because of it. It's a bit more up to date in a few areas, e.g. regarding advice on secondary fermentation etc.

I believe he's just brought out an even newer edition which has a significant amount added to it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I believe he's just brought out an even newer edition which has a significant amount added to it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers for the heads up, just purchased it for my "library"

I have just purchased the 4th edition from Amazon. It's nearly 600 pages and full of interesting info. A very good book for beginners and experienced brewers in my opinion.

Mine arrived today, an epic book in size and content, can't wait to dive into it fully.

Was just reading the preface in the kitchen and the Mrs wanders up, "What you doing?"

Er reading

I show her the book and get,

"Thought you knew how to brew?"

She'll never understand.......

Mine arrived today, an epic book in size and content, can't wait to dive into it fully.

Was just reading the preface in the kitchen and the Mrs wanders up, "What you doing?"

Er reading

I show her the book and get,

"Thought you knew how to brew?"

She'll never understand.......

She never will!

For some sex-linked genetic reason, men do more weird things than women.
I explain this to my daughters simply - "nature takes its risks down the male line". That is essentially the difference. They both giggle and agree when I repeat this.

To return to the actual thread (please pardon me for off topic ramblings...)

The first version of John Palmer's book is worth reading. Every page and every word. There may well be more to learn around the subject of making beer, but if you know what is in the JP1 book, you are a long way to knowing enough to get by.

How to Brew by John Palmer is deffinitelly the bible of America-based homebrewers and even professional brewers.

He regularly shows up to give lectures on Mexican and American beer fests. How to Brew is still a go-to guide for many people, and he has other books, like one on water that's also a must have.

On the women subject, maybe you can get them interested in beer and brewing with The Naked Pint, a book about beer and brewing wrote by two women. Is a very easy read, very informative about the history and styles of beer. It even has its own guide on how to taste beer.

I have some books on beer and I'm working on getting my library bigger, but some are ridiculously expensive! Would love to have a thread on beer books so we can discuss what have helped us and what made us more interested on beer.

"How to Brew by John Palmer is deffinitelly the bible of America-based homebrewers and even professional brewers."

Do we have a UK-equivalent? Long-term, I'm really interested in trying traditional British styles.

Palmers book was my first book some years ago, definitely a good kick start into brewing. I have read many more books but Brewing better beer is the only book which has got my grey matter working and questioning the processes used in producing beer.

don't know if this book is still available online, has you say a new addition has come.Did try the bohemian pilsner which was very good.

Latest posts

Back