piccalilli recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
So I was mentioning to my mrs the other day that I havent had piccalilli in ages and need to make some. Anybody on here have a recipe they swear by? I googled some recipes, but there seems to be as many recipes as there are Brits...( not that there is anything wrong with Brits...:mrgreen:) I think the one I used to be able to buy was from Marks and Spencer...if that helps in any way...

The best tip I can give you is taste the cucumber first. I made a batch and when i tried it, it was so bitter, the one and only bitter cucumber I have ever come across and it went into the piccalilli.
I believe its a cucumber which was not pollinated.

Thats funny you sent that link...I found that one and whenever I read about allotments, I really wished that was something they would do here. I have a few beds in my own yard dedicated to food production but wished I had more space. Having the ability to produce at least a portion of your own food is such an amazing thing. I had a few green tomatoes that fell off the plant and when I picked them up I thought...piccalilli...mmmmmmm

Mrs terrym has made piccalilli for many years, and this is the recipe from her book. The quantities for ginger and mustard are level teaspoons if you cant read the writing. She doesn't use the full 3 pints of vinegar probably about 2 pints. She says if you don't like sharp pickle you could even reduce it some more. You can prorate the quantitities as required, say half of everything for 3lb of veg. For onions use small ones or larger ones cut up. Veg are usually cauliflower, onions, french beans, marrow or possibly cucumber chopped to about 1" cubes or a bit bigger. And the last but one line in the recipe reads 'Boil and Cook 1 - 2 mins' and is there to ensure the flour starch is cooked and and no more
At this time of the year people like me who grow veg have a lots of beans, onions and courgettes or marrows to spare so its a good time to make it. I have found it's not worth trying to grow cauliflower so we always buy ours in, unless you can scrounge one from someone who does.
And anyone who grows tomatoes like I do will know that green tomato chutney is good for using them up at the end of the season.

piccalilli.jpg

Last edited:
Mrs terrym has made piccalilli for many years, and this is the recipe from her book. The quantities for ginger and mustard are level teaspoons if you cant read the writing. She doesn't use the full 3 pints of vinegar probably about 2 pints. She says if you don't like sharp pickle you could even reduce it some more. You can prorate the quantitities as required, say half of everything for 3lb of veg. For onions use small ones or larger ones cut up. Veg are usually cauliflower, onions, french beans, marrow or possibly cucumber chopped to about 1" cubes or a bit bigger.
At this time of the year people like me who grow veg have a lots of beans, onions and courgettes or marrows to spare so its a good time to make it. I have found it's not worth trying to grow cauliflower so we always buy ours in, unless you can scrounge one from someone who does.
And anyone who grows tomatoes like I do will know that green tomato chutney is good for using them up at the end of the season.

Thank you both for this!!!!! Cant wait to give it a go. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Or if you want spicy try my GarOkra pickle instead?
Just made loads. 2kg washed Okra, 4 onions, 1kg peeled garlic (from Asian wholesale) 20g Tumeric, (or more if you can cope with it) 10g Garam masala ground, 5g fenugreek, 50g fresh ginger clean and dice and 5 big green chillies (or more???)
Chuck spice in oil with black crushed pepper, white pepper. Then sweat the sliced onions while chunking garlic and okra.
Then hoy the lot in the pot and gently simmer. Add apple/rice vinegar later to taste. Bottle and enjoy! No salt, but ground seaweed (Mara) is a healthier alternative?

Just made loads. 2kg washed Okra, 4 onions, 1kg peeled garlic (from Asian wholesale) 20g Tumeric, (or more if you can cope with it) 10g Garam masala ground, 5g fenugreek, 50g fresh ginger clean and dice and 5 big green chillies (or more???)
Chuck spice in oil with black crushed pepper, white pepper. Then sweat the sliced onions while chunking garlic and okra.
Then hoy the lot in the pot and gently simmer. Add apple/rice vinegar later to taste. Bottle and enjoy! No salt, but ground seaweed (Mara) is a healthier alternative?

Now that sounds like a cracking recipe! I would have to add more chilli though. ...:thumb:

Thanks terrym. ...I've just mustered up a pile of stuff off my allotment and brined it ready to finish tomorrow. ..used white and red onion,yellow and green beans,green tomatoes and cucumbers...had to buy a cauliflower. .got a nice one from a local farm. Also picked up a load of branded Kilner jars from Home Bargains for 79p each.

Thanks terrym. ...I've just mustered up a pile of stuff off my allotment and brined it ready to finish tomorrow. ..used white and red onion,yellow and green beans,green tomatoes and cucumbers...had to buy a cauliflower. .got a nice one from a local farm. Also picked up a load of branded Kilner jars from Home Bargains for 79p each.
Hope you enjoy it :thumb:
I am reliably informed that the last but one line in the recipe reads 'Boil and Cook 1 - 2 mins' and is there to ensure the flour starch is cooked and and no more.
And it should be ready to eat shortly after it's been made, but may improve a little with keeping. Now where have I heard that before? :whistle:

Is this recipe then put in the water canner? If so, how long is it processed for. That is quite an amount...and sounds delish!!!

Got to be careful with Okra, very delicate. Only cook till it's just tender.

I use my brewing sanitisation for jars. Cellermate chlorinating tab, then H20 rinse, then starsan all my recycled pickle jars and kilners before popping in the oven @80-100*C then fill hot. All tops sprayed with starsan before adding plastic discs and seal.

I overdid the chillies and tumeric this time,,,, Dangerous :twisted::doh:

Back