Hoppy beer 🍻

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissparky

Regular.
Reaction score
Can you get used to hoppy beers.
Most of my favourite hoppy beers don't taste anywhere as flavoursome anymore. Anyone else had this and anyone know a remedy?

Can you get used to hoppy beers.
Most of my favourite hoppy beers don't taste anywhere as flavoursome anymore. Anyone else had this and anyone know a remedy?
Don't let them sit so long as you'll find they tend loose flavour after a few months maybe less depending on your hop quantity so drink up....

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I did an American red ale with tons of hops, 3 weeks in the FV, 2 weeks in the keg, and about 2 days in the fridge and gone !
Had some family and friends round and it got bloody demolished.

There's a theory that has been coined Lupulin Threshold Shift, I think this is what the OP is refering to rather than a particular brew losing flavour over time.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

But yeah, I think hoppy beers do have a tendency to strip away your pallet.

I know exactly what your getting at Chris, I remember punk being amazing now it's just meh! Now I can try a cloudwater dipa and think mmmm thats nice but could be hopier lol. I was only thinking about this the other day I might try nothing but stouts for a month then go back to the hop bombs, surely your tongue gets used to it and needs a bit of a rest.

Yes you definitely build up a tolerance for hops.
I used to find Proper Job hoppy, just tastes like an Pale Ale to me now.
I need Bengali IPA to get a real hop hit now.

I know exactly what your getting at Chris, I remember punk being amazing now it's just meh! Now I can try a cloudwater dipa and think mmmm thats nice but could be hopier lol. I was only thinking about this the other day I might try nothing but stouts for a month then go back to the hop bombs, surely your tongue gets used to it and needs a bit of a rest.
Try getting some hops into your stout.I'm due another hippy stout shortly but it's certainly different but nice and will throw your taste buds.

Try getting some hops into your stout.I'm due another hippy stout shortly but it's certainly different but nice and will throw your taste buds.

What's a hippy stout?
Is it brewed with 'the herb' :lol:

I had my first sour the other day, kind of had a grapefruit finish to it.
Not sure about it, would give it another try though.

I noticed this whilst enjoying a Jackhammer at a neighbours BBQ the other week. I thought it was tasty but everyone else who tried it had a face like they were sucking a lemon and reached straight for the nearest wine/cider/fosters to take the taste away :lol:

Not just me then. I might have to drink some less hoppy beers for a while or I'll get to the stage where I need to put a kilo of hops in my beers

Latest posts

Back