Stout recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atcare

Reaction score
Was thinking along the lines of

1 can Coopers Stout
1 can malt extract ( not sure how dark)
Cold steeped chocolate malt (not sure how much)
Would I need to add any extra sugars or spraymalt
How do you reckon this would turn out and any idea of ABV. Looking for something around 6% but more interested in taste and body

1 can Coopers Stout
How do you reckon this would turn out and any idea of ABV. Looking for something around 6% but more interested in taste and body

Try running it through the Recipe section at the top of the page.

I take it that it will be a 23 litre brew?

My only comment is "Go easy on the Chocolate Malt!" Like Black Treacle a little bit goes a long way!

I did this Coopers Stout earlier this year:

o Started 19th March 2017
o Fermented in Trug.
o Coopers Stout Kit.
o 1.60Kg of Maris Otter
o 0.20Kg of Chocolate Malt
o 15g of Perle Hop Leaf boiled for 60 mins.
o Wilco Ale Yeast + Coopers Yeast pitched at 20 degrees.
o Overflowed the FV 20th March!
o Bottled with 75g of sugar on 2nd April 2017
o Carbonating on shelf near storage heater.

OG 1.047
FG 1.011
ABV 4.73%
Kcal per litre = 453Kcal

Tasted 18th June 2017 and very nice – for a Stout. Better in winter?

Tried one a few days ago and it is improving. :thumb:

Just realised that it had been nearly two months since I first tried it so went and grabbed a bottle of the shelf.

It's improving. A great drink that should just get better and better as winter arrives! :thumb:

IMG_0465.jpg

Just realised that it had been nearly two months since I first tried it so went and grabbed a bottle of the shelf.

It's improving. A great drink that should just get better and better as winter arrives! :thumb:
Hope it tastes as good as it looks[emoji12]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

1 can Coopers Stout

Just put similar on but with black treacle. Used can of Coopers Stout, can of Coopers Dark Malt Extract, can of black treacle (470g), brewed short to 20L gave a OG of 1.052. Looked like tar :) I pitched a CrossMyLoof ale yeast as well as the Coopers sachet, by the next evening it had hit the top of the fermenter. Should make for a nice warming brew on the cold autumn / winter evenings.

Just put similar on but with black treacle. Used can of Coopers Stout, can of Coopers Dark Malt Extract, can of black treacle (470g), brewed short to 20L gave a OG of 1.052. Looked like tar :) I pitched a CrossMyLoof ale yeast as well as the Coopers sachet, by the next evening it had hit the top of the fermenter. Should make for a nice warming brew on the cold autumn / winter evenings.

Bloody hell! When I make my toucan up using Coopers Stout & Dark Ale I make it up to 25 litres.

Did you manage to stir that at all?

atcare, I make a stout once a month or so.
Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark Ale
250 grams Choc malt steeped 45 minutes and boiled for 10 minutes
Both yeasts
I've added anywhere between 0-1kg of dextrose and haven't really noticed much of a difference.
It's very popular amongst the ex pats here. And a couple of Aussies like it too.

282jhwn.jpg

i would imagine that's kicking off by now and trying to climb out of the FV and take over the world.

I should probably have a peek inside the brew fridge tonight, kind of assumed it would be okay due to the increased headspace in the FV as I'd only brewed to 20L. However the quick peek I had after 24 hours just to ensure it had got underway already had the krausen hitting the lid :mrgreen:

I should probably have a peek inside the brew fridge tonight, kind of assumed it would be okay due to the increased headspace in the FV as I'd only brewed to 20L. However the quick peek I had after 24 hours just to ensure it had got underway already had the krausen hitting the lid :mrgreen:

With stouts I always fit a blow off tube when I'm setting up the FV, I've been caught out too many times mopping up stout with kitchen towel not to. I put on a Betterbrew Export Lager on Wednesday with re-pitched Mauribrew 514 and fitted an old style s-bend airlock. I don't normally fit an airlock these days but 4-5 hours later it was bubbling constantly and is now down to every 20-30 seconds, I do love the sound of the airlock happily bubbling away.

With stouts I always fit a blow off tube when I'm setting up the FV, I've been caught out too many times mopping up stout with kitchen towel not to. I put on a Betterbrew Export Lager on Wednesday with re-pitched Mauribrew 514 and fitted an old style s-bend airlock. I don't normally fit an airlock these days but 4-5 hours later it was bubbling constantly and is now down to every 20-30 seconds, I do love the sound of the airlock happily bubbling away.

I've only had one stout go berserk. I had to remove it from the fridge and clean the fridge out. All, 5 or 6 at least have all been fine. I have no idea why though.

I've only had one stout go berserk. I had to remove it from the fridge and clean the fridge out. All, 5 or 6 at least have all been fine. I have no idea why though.
If it's the Coopers stouts you are doing, the Original and the Irish come with different yeasts. The Original yeast is much more lively and finishes quickly and if you dont brew short will 'overflow' as I found. The Irish is much more sedate in comparison. However both attenuate about the same. I prefer the Irish, much smoother imo.

If it's the Coopers stouts you are doing, the Original and the Irish come with different yeasts. The Original yeast is much more lively and finishes quickly and if you dont brew short will 'overflow' as I found. The Irish is much more sedate in comparison. However both attenuate about the same. I prefer the Irish, much smoother imo.

It's the original I use every time with dark ale as a toucan. Both kit yeasts.
As I said only one has ever tried to escape the FV.

I might try the Irish one as my Irish neighbour doesn't like the toucan.

Bottled the treacle stout last night, tastes lovely already, and very very dark :mrgreen:. Going to enjoy this one over the winter methinks. Back in the brew fridge to carbonate, will have a proper sample in about a month.

Latest posts

Back