eBay rip off !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
I’m fuming !
Sold an Apple IPhone 6 with cracked screen on eBay. All good working order.
Received it back from the buyer who had clearly tried to replace the screen and broke the phone.
They then raised a case to eBay claiming the phone was broke on arrival , a clear lie.
eBay have now forced a refund and I have a F£&£&£D phone.

Yet there appears to be nothing I can do about it, other than raising a complaint directly to eBay which by forum reads suggests is a waste of time .

So I’m now £150 out of pocket and will be leaving eBay ! Well ****** off !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use Ebay to buy but if i do sell its only things that are of little value and not particularly breakable, i came close to being ripped off when i sold a DVD player years ago it came back with a big dent in the top as if someone had stood on it the buyer claimed the packaging was not damaged so said it was like that when i sent it he got his money back and luckily for me i had insured it and got my money back.

In my view they have made it too easy for buyers to take the pish out of sellers, i now prefer local sell and seek which are popping up on Facebook.

I only use Ebay to buy but if i do sell its only things that are of little value and not particularly breakable, i came close to being ripped off when i sold a DVD player years ago it came back with a big dent in the top as if someone had stood on it the buyer claimed the packaging was not damaged so said it was like that when i sent it he got his money back and luckily for me i had insured it and got my money back.

In my view they have made it too easy for buyers to take the pish out of sellers, i now prefer local sell and seek which are popping up on Facebook.

You’re right Chippy - from my research today it appears eBay is all about the buyer and they give a big middle finger up to the seller.

Shocking and I hope they crash and burn soon as the local selling pages build.

Sorry to hear this, I hear so many eBay scams these days, and I stopped using eBay when a seller got incredibly aggressive with me and threatened to sue. Occasionally I might buy something from a shop there but I no longer think it's worth the risk to buy or sell to individuals.

Sorry about your bad experience but I can honestly say that I've never had a problem at all in 11 years of using ebay. I guess it's only a matter of time but until then...

Sorry about your bad experience but I can honestly say that I've never had a problem at all in 11 years of using ebay. I guess it's only a matter of time but until then...

Same to be honest Gunge - used it for a long time as a buyer. Which is protected well, but as a seller you have diddly squat and encounter a tnuc buyer and your stuffed as nothing in place to help you.

Last time I had an eBay issue I contacted them and pointed out that their decision in favour of the buyer breached the law of Enland and Wales, and whilst I understood their dilemma I thought that bringing legal action against them as a test case would help them clarify their position in the future.

Interestingly, the decision was changed in my favour within 10 minutes following a 'review'!

Last time I had an eBay issue I contacted them and pointed out that their decision in favour of the buyer breached the law of Enland and Wales, and whilst I understood their dilemma I thought that bringing legal action against them as a test case would help them clarify their position in the future.

Interestingly, the decision was changed in my favour within 10 minutes following a 'review'!

I’ll try it when I call them [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

If the condition was 'spares or repair' which is anything sold as damaged, hey have no comeback!

I rarely buy or sell on there these days. Much easier to buy and sell locally on Facebook. My wife had a business that primarily sold via eBay and we had countless issues. PayPal is the the same. Someone can have a little moan and they can take money straight from your account without even asking you to reply and it is impossible to speak to someone.

It isn't about the seller or the buyer, I have had problems from both angles, it's about eBay. They make a tremendous amount of money on a daily basis, they have no worries about an allegiance to the seller or the buyer, they know there are plenty of both in the big scheme of things. A bit like the Nigerian scammers, there will always be gullible people no matter how many warnings about their online scams are put to air, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

It isn't about the seller or the buyer, I have had problems from both angles, it's about eBay. They make a tremendous amount of money on a daily basis, they have no worries about an allegiance to the seller or the buyer, they know there are plenty of both in the big scheme of things. A bit like the Nigerian scammers, there will always be gullible people no matter how many warnings about their online scams are put to air, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

I’d hardly say I was gullible in this instance !

I’m fuming !
Sold an Apple IPhone 6 with cracked screen on eBay. All good working order.
Received it back from the buyer who had clearly tried to replace the screen and broke the phone.
They then raised a case to eBay claiming the phone was broke on arrival , a clear lie.
eBay have now forced a refund and I have a F£&£&£D phone.

Yet there appears to be nothing I can do about it, other than raising a complaint directly to eBay which by forum reads suggests is a waste of time .

So I’m now £150 out of pocket and will be leaving eBay ! Well ****** off !!

I would always put an objection in and raise a complaint against it. Even if you think it won't work (based on forums, but what do people on forums know [emoji6]) you need to Try the route that is setup exactly for that reason.

And I think you may find that you are able to draw on the uk consumer rights here. Particularly if the unit was not sold as described. And if it was damaged in the post, again that's not your problem and you should be able to get a refund.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would always put an objection in and raise a complaint against it. Even if you think it won't work (based on forums, but what do people on forums know [emoji6]) you need to Try the route that is setup exactly for that reason.

And I think you may find that you are able to draw on the uk consumer rights here. Particularly if the unit was not sold as described. And if it was damaged in the post, again that's not your problem and you should be able to get a refund.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he's the seller, not the buyer, so if the claim is damaged in the post it is his responsibility. If it can be proven he can claim against the carrier.

When we got our money back they didn't even ask to see the packaging as they say they will in their terms and conditions I believe under a certain amount they just pay out, this was a few years ago so it might have changed.

@pvt_ak
I think this is a cautionary tale for everyone. You have all my sympathy. There are a lot of dishonest gits out there and will use ebay to their advantage. I assume your sale photos didn't have much weight with ebay. Hope you get the decision reversed.
Like others on here I use occasionally use ebay to buy stuff but usually limit it to about £50, and mostly use the shops. I rarely sell and then if I do its on a collect only basis.
It would be interesting to know the outcome if a few disgruntled sellers got together and took a joint test case against ebay on the basis that their policy is discriminatory and perhaps operating outside UK Consumer law.

A mate of mine buys and sells records but stopped using EBay as so many people were saying the records never arrived and EBay just refunded them. It just wasn't financially viable for him to get continually ripped off.

A mate of mine buys and sells records but stopped using EBay as so many people were saying the records never arrived and EBay just refunded them. It just wasn't financially viable for him to get continually ripped off.
Why didn't he get 'signed for'?
That cost goes on to the buyer.
On the very rare times I have had to post stuff that's what I have done.

Only buy one off things and things like CML yeast for example

I have sold some things on there a Graphics card and a PC.. I was nervous about them both.. both were in full working order but especially electronics and all that and ebay being so buyer biased.

Feel for you man.. someone has pulled a fast one on you and ebay are going to naturally side with the crooks :evil:

Latest posts

Back