ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs has been granted release from his prison sentence on compassionate grounds.
Justice Secretary Jack Straw said the decision was based on medical evidence that Biggs's condition had deteriorated and he was not expected to recover.
Biggs, who turns 80 this weekend, is severely ill in hospital with pneumonia and doctors have said there is "not much hope".
Judy Totton, a spokeswoman for Michael Biggs, said: "He is absolutely delighted and he hopes that his father will survive long enough to see his 80th birthday on Saturday."

Why? All seems a bit pointless to be honest.

pointless maybe, but he is not what you call a threat to society. His only crime was making a fool out of the british goverment and british police. you compare the sentence what he and the other train robbers recieved to what the killers of jamie bulger and maxine carr got. Plus he gets to spend the last few days of his life with his family and the people he loves.

davesiv said:
pointless maybe, but he is not what you call a threat to society. His only crime was making a fool out of the british goverment and british police. you compare the sentence what he and the other train robbers recieved to what the killers of jamie bulger and maxine carr got. Plus he gets to spend the last few days of his life with his family and the people he loves.

I agree, bet that ******* Huntley won't serve his full term, he'll be out with a new identity in 10 years...all hush hush!

John

He did the crime but didn't do the time !!!

While his mates did their time he was in Brazil living it up big time. When he ran out of money he wanted to come back so that the NHS could deal with him because he was "entitled" to it as a British Citizen, and because of the length of time he thought we'd all forgive him!!!

Bet his mates weren't thinking that while they were banged up!!

I'm sorry, but as great as the story was, if your local Post Office or Supermarket was held-up at gun-point I don't think any of us would think it was courageous and sticking two fingers up to the establishment.

We'd want them locked away for a long time.

Enough rant.

Ok he didnt do the time he was sentenced to, and yes the crime was wrong in the extreme.
but even for that time the sentencing for this was way over the top and there is no doubt that was a clear case of they system hanging a crow out for all to see.
had he come back earlier he would have had to serve his full sentence which under the rules could not have been shortened even through teh appeals process. at the time of sentencing his sentence was what it was and set in stone. In that case I dont think I would have come back especially if I was living where he was....
I blame the judicial system as much as Biggs for that situation.
The system was unreasonable and inflexible.
Oh and one last point , convicted criminal or not, a blind man could have seen Biggs tactic when he surrendered himself to custody. He should have been refused entry back into the country and his sentence commuted . After all he has contributed nothing to the NHS or the wider fabric of this country he should have been left to die in his chosen home.

Latest posts

Back