Spinning sparge arm. What do I do with it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey tazuk, you been spring cleaning your photo bucket again, can't see any of your pics lol.

ooops yes you mean the mk4 sparge arm :thumb:

DSCF4895.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9dcu8FXSYk

When you are circulating your wort through your HERMS, I suggest you dont use a sparge arm or spreader. The reason for this is that you don't want to aerate the hot wort.

I used to do this and got some undesirable flavours and I definitely get better results by returning the wort to the MT just below the level of the wort.

I remove my 8mm sparge pipe from the connector it spins on and use a piece of 8mm tube with a bend in so that it doesn't drill a hole in the mash and place the free end just below the surface the wort.

Introducing air to the wort is good for the yeast but only after is cooled to below 26C or there abouts.

You got a parts list/links please tazuk, going to need to make one of these

Silly question... I'm of to buy the parts, how do you stop the tube falling out of the reducer if the compression fitting is not tightened ? And then how doors it soon freely if the compression is tightened ?

Wind a half dozen turns of PTFE Thread tape around the male thread and tighten up the nut just enough to hold. I tighten mine up with my fingers and it hasn't fallen off yet.

Cheers, i assume that's with the olive in as well

Hmmm.. The ally tubing is not as precise in dimensions as copper tube, I'm funding that it needs to be filled around its diameter to get it into the fittings, i think this may lead to leakage around the moving part

Anybody got a how to on this? I NEED to make one :wink:
I am only guessing by the pictures that still show up on this thread, any pics and explanations? :pray:

Am I missing something :hmm:

This points to a link with no pics and back to this thread :doh:

Edit: Hang on I've got it, bloody tappatalk doesn't show the links properly, thankyou :hat:

I tend to have the fly sparge done in 30 mins. I managed to get hold of an old pub glass washer spinning arm. I think I will upgrade to a basic pipe at some point. If its not spinning you need smaller holes and the arms pointing up more. I have seen some micros with them at 90 degrees so they spin better.

This is mine in action!

D

Where can I get some cheap straight tube from, I was going to use some ordinary 15mm copper tube but seems brass might be better at smaller diameters :hmm:

Latest posts

Back