Christmas Barleywine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cononthebarber

Landlord.
Reaction score
Was thinking on making a barleywine in time for Christmas, if I brew it soon it may just have enough time to condition for 25th?

Made the below up in beersmith, was thinking of using either Windsor or Nottingham ale yeast? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Recipe: Christmas Barleywine

TYPE: All Grain

Style: English Barleywine

---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS---

SRM: 14.3 SRM
IBU: 44.1 IBUs
OG: 1.087 SG
FG: 1.023 SG
Batch: 18.93 l Boil: 22.62 l BT: 60 Mins

Total Grain Weight: 7.30 kg

Amt Name
6.94 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
0.36 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)

Total Hops: 60.00 g

Amt Name IBU
30.00 g First Gold [8.11 %] - Boil 60.0 min 22.0 IBUs
30.00 g Northern Brewer [10.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min 22.1 IBUs

I would up the IBU's to 60 ish. higger OG needs a higher bittering to compensate for the sweetness which will occour, IMHO. Its all about Bittering Units: Gravity Units ratio. :thumb:

I used Notty last time I did a barley wine though I think Windsor would be a bit more malty. :thumb:

If I was doing one again I would use a bit of Special B which gives plumb and dried fruit notes :thumb:

Thanks GA, I did read somewhere else to keep the IBU's below 50 to allow the malty character to shine more but I see what you mean about offsetting the sweetness. Is special B a hop? I don't have that one in stock but may have a look see if my LHBS has some (I have plenty of malts/hops in stock at the minute so not worth an online order).

I think if I up the IBU's and go for the Windsor yeast as you suggest it should end up not too shabby?

Cheers :cheers:

Special B is a grain belgian in origin. I would use similar amount as the crystal.

E.B.C.300

The darkest of the Belgian crystal malts, Dingemans Special B will impart a heavy caramel taste and is often credited with the raisin-like flavors of some Belgian Abbey ales. Larger percentages (greater than 5%) will contribute a dark brown-black color and fuller body.

You can get it from The Malt Miller Here

Just finished a Barley Wine using Nottingham. Got it from 1.103 to 1.020, 11%. Left it for 2 weeks but most of the fermenting was done in the first week.

The FG is still to high so its just gone into the secondary FV and I am going to try and use some champagne yeast to lower the gravity a bit more.

Going to keg it and try some for this Christmas and age the rest for next Christmas, as its kegged it means I can dry hop if I think it needs it later.

I tested the gravity of this on Monday and it was 1026, I figured it still had some to go so left it until today but testing again its still at 1026...is this finished then you reckon? I may try adding champagne yeast also to drop the gravity some more? I'm definitely going to rack this today as I need my fermenting fridge cleared as I'm making an IPA later on :)

Oh I did have a sneaky taste of it out the trial jar though and it does taste immense, think this is going to be a cracking beer come Christmas :thumb:

Back