Best commercial beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're talking bottled beers, I do like a nice chilled glass of Thwaites Nutty Black. A lovely very dark mild.

I like quite a few different beers but I'm stingy and not especially adventurous so my choices are restricted to the supermarket shelves, although that still
leaves quite a selection. I think if I had to choose just one then Hobgoblin would be a strong contender :cheers:

I was in Prague 4 weeks ago and fell in love with a pub called U-Fleku which brewed its own dark lager. It's classified as a Dunkel and I've found a recipe for it but it's beyond my capabilities atm. I looked into similar styles of the beer and the closest I could find to it in kit form is a Bock Beer which I bottled 3 days ago. I'll now experiment with the Bock and see if I can tweak it into something similar.

Real Ale is a rarity in Northern Ireland, a few pubs stock it but most pubs are out of my way. I generally drink Guinness when I'm out and about but I do like to sample new things.

Off licence, I discovered a Dark Chocolate Stout which is delicious and the bottles come in handy for my own brews.

Personal taste I know,but try the Williams Bros Ceaser Augustus.
Mmmmmm
:hat:

+1 I used to buy a lot of their Joker IPA but I got a bad bottle a couple of months ago, didn't taste right at all, and it kinda put me off. Since then Caesar Augustus is where it's at.

I'm a big brewdog fan, my usual is Punk IPA in bottles but Hardcore IPA and Jackhammer on draught at the bar.

Best pub beer: Sam smiths wheat beer

Best bottle beer: black sheep

Right now I've gone mad for the tesco/marsden's revisionist rye ale. It's £1.25 p 500ml, dry hopped with citra and Amarillo. God it's good. Luckily I need to stock up on bottles for my next kit (way to Amarillo, guess why I chose it), so it's a good excuse to get tons of it in. Nt that I need an excuse.

There are about 6 others in the revisionist range. Tried the steam, saison, dark ipa and they are all pretty good.

hi gareth. just got the way to kit myself . won't be starting till new year when i've got a keg free. really new to me as only done 2kits and taking a step up . so'll be quite keen to hear how you get on. cheers. back on topic . i don't think you can beat a fullers E. S.B. for a deceive ingly 4.7%ish boonkers brew. as in 1st one ' that's a bit fruity .don't know if i can have many of these. 2nd i'm slightly animated and this tastes great.4th ranting.6th how did i get home.amazing stuff

Hi Dave, Hoping to get the Amarillo kit on the go next weekend. Will report progress on the relevant thread in the kit review board. Did a few extract style kits back in my 20s and remember being amazed at how good they were, so high hopes for this one!

Schiehallion is a decent bottle as well,both that and the Ceaser Augustus are brewed 10 mins from my house,might pay the breweries a visit!

Not sure how widely available this one is but if you ever get the chance try Morocco Ale by Daleside Brewery. It's a spiced dark ale with one of the most interesting flavours I've ever come across.

St peters-Winter ale
Ayr brewing company- choc orange stout

and controversially as its a mainstream brewery
Guinness-west indies porter.

Honestly it depends on what I fancy

If I want a hoppy beer I love a St Austells Proper Job, darker beers Hobgoblin or Old perculier. I also like an old crafty hen too

It's gotta be an old dairy gold top ipa from a relatively new Kentish brewery called old dairy.
or a bottled conditioned blue top yum yum

or a blue top bottle conditioned old dairy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back