Bottle Conditioned Beer List

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd heard it on a recent edition of the Come And Brew It Radio podcast. I wouldn't consider them a definitive source, but they did seem fairly confident that SN used a bottling strain.

A pack of US05 is £2.55 from Geterbrewed, but it's not just the cost I was thinking of, also the time and effort of culturing from a bottle and the increased contamination risk compared to a fresh pack. I think some yeasts are definitely worth culturing, some of the Belgian strains for example, but for me personally this ain't one.

A pack of US05 is ��£2.55 from Geterbrewed, but it's not just the cost I was thinking of, also the time and effort of culturing from a bottle and the increased contamination risk compared to a fresh pack. I think some yeasts are definitely worth culturing, some of the Belgian strains for example, but for me personally this ain't one.

I agree about the time and effort (although, I've recently discovered you need a lot less step ups than I used to think) when you can just chucking in a pack of US-05 is a lot easier. But US-05 isn't exactly the same as WLP001/WY1056. It's more powdery in the bottle and when fermented cold I've read it gives a peachy ester which WLP001/WY056 doesnt. Being able to culture up from a bottle of SN give some extra options I guess. But like you say, not for everyone

A pack of US05 is ��£2.55 from Geterbrewed, but it's not just the cost I was thinking of, also the time and effort of culturing from a bottle and the increased contamination risk compared to a fresh pack. I think some yeasts are definitely worth culturing, some of the Belgian strains for example, but for me personally this ain't one.

I've never used yeast from a commercial beer, but having next week off work I was planning to brew using yeast from Fuller's 1845, which I was going to splash out on two bottles of, later on. Are you saying that I'd be wasting my time and money, and would be better off using CML's Real Ale Yeast as usual? Making a strong, English-type bitter by the way. Advice welcome, thanks.

I've never used yeast from a commercial beer, but having next week off work I was planning to brew using yeast from Fuller's 1845, which I was going to splash out on two bottles of, later on. Are you saying that I'd be wasting my time and money, and would be better off using CML's Real Ale Yeast as usual? Making a strong, English-type bitter by the way. Advice welcome, thanks.

The Fullers strain is VERY different from CML RA yeast

Sorry no, don't misunderstand what I was saying, I was speaking specifically about the Chico strain there which is so flavour neutral that imo it's not worth the effort of culturing. Something like the Fullers strain however, I couldn't comment because it's not one I'm familiar with.

Yes, because of the distinctive ester profile. My reading of what SS said about the SN strain is it's not worth bothering because it's so widely available as both a dried and liquid strain

Yep that's exactly what I meant :thumb:

Hop Back Crop Circle as mentioned on their website as naturally conditioned. Apparently, and according to a post on another site, 'Hop Back is good with hoppy beers' and it 'top crops like a whotsit and drop like a brick when chilled'.
No mention of Hop Croft Summer Lightning being naturally conditioned on their brewery website (see OP list) but that's not to say it's not.

Hop Back Crop Circle as mentioned on their website as naturally conditioned. Apparently, and according to a post on another site, 'Hop Back is good with hoppy beers' and it 'top crops like a whotsit and drop like a brick when chilled'.
No mention of Hop Croft Summer Lighting being naturally conditioned on their brewery website (see OP list) but that's not to say it's not.

Sometimes breweries change whether a beer is bottle conditioned or not. Summer lightening definitely used to be bottle conditioned. Perhaps it's now changed? Anyway, I've updated the list to reflect this new info. Thanks terry :hat:

Is the yeast in Shepherd Neame 1698 the same strain than is used to brew Bishops Finger, does anyone know? I wasn't particularly blown away by the 1698 but love the taste of Bishops Finger.

Afaik the yeast in 1698 is the Shepherd neame strain, so would be used in bishops finger. I've cultured it up before and it's definately an English type, true top cropping yeast, rather than a secondary priming yeast

Is the yeast in Shepherd Neame 1698 the same strain than is used to brew Bishops Finger, does anyone know? I wasn't particularly blown away by the 1698 but love the taste of Bishops Finger.
There's a long thread on culturing the 1698 yeast here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60341
My experience, at least for the first generation, was that the yeast was so top fermenting that I had to keep turning the yeasty krausen into the brew to keep it going, since otherwise there was not enough actually in the liquid beer itself.

There's a long thread on culturing the 1698 yeast here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60341
My experience, at least for the first generation, was that the yeast was so top fermenting that I had to keep turning the yeasty krausen into the brew to keep it going, since otherwise there was not enough actually in the liquid beer itself.

I found 1469 West Yorkshire a bit like that.
Trying to over build a starter in 2l flask was damn near on impossible. Bloody thing packed it's bags and headed for the front door a couple of times.

Stewart Brewing seem to bottle condition some (possibly all) of their beers. I'm not very familiar with them but Lidl have started selling their Cascade East (a really superb APA/IPA) and Radical Road (a decent IPA). Whatever yeast they use it is very clean so it could well be WLP001/US05 but I think it might be different as it really sticks to the bottom of the bottle. I only realised that it was bottle conditioned when I accidentally partly froze a bottle and all the jiggling around trying to thaw it stirred up the sediment.

Stewart Brewing seem to bottle condition some (possibly all) of their beers. I'm not very familiar with them but Lidl have started selling their Cascade East (a really superb APA/IPA) and Radical Road (a decent IPA). Whatever yeast they use it is very clean so it could well be WLP001/US05 but I think it might be different as it really sticks to the bottom of the bottle. I only realised that it was bottle conditioned when I accidentally partly froze a bottle and all the jiggling around trying to thaw it stirred up the sediment.

Just had a look at Stewart Brewing's website. Both the beers you mention look to me like they use some form of chico strain so I bet they use a dry yeast, maybe BRY-97 if it's a bit more flocculant, as I seem to remember this is one of it's characteristics when I used it

Latest posts

Back