16g nitrogen bulbs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Is it possible to get 16g bulbs of nitrogen or is it possible to fit a 8g bulb into brewfern mini kegs

I haven't found any despite searching far and wide.

Someone made an insert for these, can't remember which HBF member it was. I'd gladly pay £5 or £10 for an adapter. Maybe a business sideline for someone?

How was the insert made for the 8g bulbs

It hasn't arrived yet. I can't remember how he said he made it, he posted about on here months ago but left the forum. I got speaking to him on another forum and he made one and sent it to me. Should arrive tomorrow.

It hasn't arrived yet. I can't remember how he said he made it, he posted about on here months ago but left the forum. I got speaking to him on another forum and he made one and sent it to me. Should arrive tomorrow.

Can you take a snap or 2 and show us what it looks like? That way someone could maybe reverse engineer one?

I modified a 16g holder to take 8g CO2 capsules as per these photographs.

I cut the end off an empty 16g capsule and adjusted the interior with Pattex plastic putty (it sets like cement in five minutes) to make the combination the same length as a normal 16g capsule.

I then had to fit a small "O" ring to the Party-Star fitting because the tapered end of the 8g capsule is a smaller diameter than the 16g capsule.

The modification works and the 8g capsule in place at the moment has been in place for nearly a month without leaking. It has also been successfully fitted to a MK to pressurise it using the "automatic" CO2 system.

16g to 8g 1.jpg

16g to 8g 2.jpg

I cut the end off an empty 16g capsule and adjusted the interior with Pattex plastic putty (it sets like cement in five minutes) to make the combination the same length as a normal 16g capsule.

I then had to fit a small "O" ring to the Party-Star fitting because the tapered end of the 8g capsule is a smaller diameter than the 16g capsule.

The modification works and the 8g capsule in place at the moment has been in place for nearly a month without leaking. It has also been successfully fitted to a MK to pressurise it using the "automatic" CO2 system.

Thanks for the pictures hack saw cut through bulb alright is it just the bottom you need to build up on the 16g bulb to make it same length as 16g bulb when 8g bulb is in it

Thanks for the pictures hack saw cut through bulb alright is it just the bottom you need to build up on the 16g bulb to make it same length as 16g bulb when 8g bulb is in it

I cut the 16g off just below the shoulder then:

o Pushed some crumpled up aluminium tinfoil into the space to give me a bit less than the length I needed.

o Mixed up a ball of Pattex Plastic Putty about the size of top thumb joint and rolled it into the 16g capsule.

o Spit on the 8g capsule (to stop it sticking to the putty) and pushed it into the 16g jacket.

o Used a vice to push the 8g capsule into the 16g capsule far enough to get the correct length.

o Used a pair of pliers to rotate the 8g capsule as it was withdrawn to leave the putty behind.

o Cleaned up the 8g capsule, spat into the 16g capsule and used the 8g capsule to get a smooth finish on the putty.

o Double checked the length, moved the 8g capsule (rotated as it was withdrawn) and left the putty an hour to set.

Works a treat. MK now emptied (for the last two pints I used a modified bicycle pump) and still got CO2 in the 8g capsule! :thumb: :thumb:

Would you make me one of these please

Would you make me one of these please

So easy to do I wouldn't insult you by making you one. :nono:

Here's are the photographs to show you how to do it and the explanation is above. :thumb: :thumb:

I don't even bother now with the "O" ring used to centralise the 8g capsules inside the 16g casing as it works without one ... :thumb: :thumb:

... as I discovered when I forgot to fit one! :doh:

16g to 8g 1.jpg

16g to 8g 2.jpg

So easy to do I wouldn't insult you by making you one. :nono:

Here's are the photographs to show you how to do it and the explanation is above. :thumb: :thumb:

I don't even bother now with the "O" ring used to centralise the 8g capsules inside the 16g casing as it works without one ... :thumb: :thumb
... as I discovered when I forgot to fit one! :doh:
what plastic cement do I need could you send me eBay link please

The stuff I used was on offer from Lidl (I buy loads of it every year and use it on dozens of projects) but as they don't have the stuff year round I occasionally use this stuff instead ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...vtargid=kwd-1078225885&ref=pd_sl_2x59swn5dj_b

I have often used and can recommend Milliput. For example, over four years ago I used some of it to repair the damaged wing of an angel on a mate's grave and it's stood up to all weathers since then.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

The stuff I used was on offer from Lidl (I buy loads of it every year and use it on dozens of projects) but as they don't have the stuff year round I occasionally use this stuff instead ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...vtargid=kwd-1078225885&ref=pd_sl_2x59swn5dj_b

I have often used and can recommend Milliput. For example, over four years ago I used some of it to repair the damaged wing of an angel on a mate's grave and it's stood up to all weathers since then.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Thanks so much I'll try this and let you know how I get on have a stout in secondary nearly ready for keg so I'll know how I get on .

Latest posts

Back