Grainfather App liquor volumes, wtf?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett74

Regular.
Reaction score
I have just finished my first two AG brews on my GF and was less than impressed with the OG I attained, started playing with the numbers and suspect the problem lies in my liquor calcs. I used the GF app. instead of the recipe from Greg Hughes calcs. The differences were quite big, I had a recipe with 6,1 kg of grain for 17 liter batch, an imperial IPA, GF app said 23,3 liters for the mash and 5 liters for the sparge. That obviously didn't work out so good...feel stupid for not double checking these volumes...am I missing something ??
On Monday I am planning one of Greg's single hop Ales, there is 4,94kg of grain so for a 23 liter batch according to:
Greg 12,3 liters Mash and 19,7 liters sparge.
Grainfather App 16,8 liters Mash and 15,6 liters sparge.
Grainfather calc. from their website 14,3 mash and 16,9 sparge.

Feeling a little lost so it's OK if you talk to me like I am dumb....
My goal is to get my efficiency up so I presume the way forward is to figure out how little mash water is doable?

I have just finished my first two AG brews on my GF and was less than impressed with the OG I attained, started playing with the numbers and suspect the problem lies in my liquor calcs. I used the GF app. instead of the recipe from Greg Hughes calcs. The differences were quite big, I had a recipe with 6,1 kg of grain for 17 liter batch, an imperial IPA, GF app said 23,3 liters for the mash and 5 liters for the sparge. That obviously didn't work out so good...feel stupid for not double checking these volumes...am I missing something ??
On Monday I am planning one of Greg's single hop Ales, there is 4,94kg of grain so for a 23 liter batch according to:
Greg 12,3 liters Mash and 19,7 liters sparge.
Grainfather App 16,8 liters Mash and 15,6 liters sparge.
Grainfather calc. from their website 14,3 mash and 16,9 sparge.

Feeling a little lost so it's OK if you talk to me like I am dumb....
My goal is to get my efficiency up so I presume the way forward is to figure out how little mash water is doable?

So you have a 5kg grain bill for a GF brew.

My advice, which is second hand from a member pcz (I think) is to use ~3.5L per kg of grain and this works very well for the 5-6kg grain bills I use my GF for.

As regards the sparge water, you calculate how much you need in total by adding up the volume you want in the FV, plus the water absorbed by the grain (number of kilos of grain x 0.8 gives you the number of litres) plus dead space and boiling losses (about 5-6L). The sparge water is enough to make up the mash water to the total.

A total of 28l for a 17l brew is way too much. Strange that the app says that, the calculator on the GF website says 19.97 mash and 6.91 sparge for a 17l batch. How much did you end up with in the fermenter? It should have been well over 17l.

Only time it's went wrong for me was on a really small grain bill, other than that the online calc has done me no harm.

I use it for both 10 and 20 litre batches and with both I have to top up the boil with around a litre, other than that though its great :)

I checked it all again and must have been forgetting to do something and now it all works out, in practice too ! Silly me....:-(

Latest posts

Back