Can I use a fridge in my garden shed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizurd

Reaction score
Hi all.

I wanted to see if the above was possible since doing some reading suggests that fridges don't like outdoor setups unless you stump for one that is specifically built for outdoor use (and therefore costs a lot more). I was wondering about other people's experiences of running a fridge in a shed as a brew fridge and whether it works OK or if the fridges die really quickly?

Cheers

Dan

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Unsure really I mean mines only got silver backed bubble wrap insulation around it as in the shed. but it keeps it a steady temperature. My fridge still works and it's been there for 4 months now.

don't see what the problem would be as long as there's an adequate/safe power supply in there

Inside a shed isn't `outdoors'. I suppose if your shed gets baking hot in summer the motor might burn out from constant running but if the fridge has good insulation it shouldn't happen.

I was under the impression a shed would count as outdoors because of the temperature variation. It's good to know that others have made it work OK though. Bit of bubble wrap insulation for my shed by the looks of it then.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

I haven't managed to get a brew fridge yet, however I've lined my shed with tarpaulin as had a load in my garage. Keeps it warm in winter and doesn't get hotter then inside the house in summer so I will be using my fridge in there when I get round to getting it all started.

Could there be a problem with a fridge in the shed when it drops below freezing for a few days in winter?

I think there are more problems with freezers when used outside. When it gets cold the freezer can switch off, defrosting everything.

No problem with a freezer out in a shed. Mine's been `outside' in my workshop (unheated) for 21 years with no problem. Don't really see how your freezer could defrost if it's in sub zero temperatures!

Depends entirely on what the fridge is being used for.

If it's a fermentation fridge then it's not going to be working particularly hard to stay at 15-25°. Then you've got the tubular heater and exothermic fermentation handling the heating bit.

Where as if it was functioning as a largering fridge it would probably have to work a little harder to maintain lower temps say 3-5°C.

Say Your kitchen is sitting at 20°c fairly steadily, the fridge is theoretically going to have to work harder than It would outside in cooler temps, unsteady or not.

Summer heat is your only issue, but then you have to actually consider how much hotter your shed would be than the average kitchen. If it's not regularly exceeding 25°C then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Our home fridge is in an unheated uninsulated extension next to the house. With a hole in the roof. It is basically a shed, and we've had no problem with it being on 24/7.

I have a car port, not a garage and the back is open to the garden. There are two fridges out there and both have worked well for the last 5 - 6 years.
The wind does blow in somewhat in the winter but the roof keeps off any frost when the weather is coldest.

Latest posts

Back