New to all grain....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamharper

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Adam and I'm new to all grain brewing & this forum.
I'm ready (cleared space in the man cave) to gather the equipment to start all grain brewing!
I'm after a bit of help with this as I have a moderate budget and not a lot of knowledge on the equipment needed.....
If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.
Thanks 😃

Generous offer from Johnny, nice to get some first hands on advice on a setup..

A few things to consider

a) would you prefer to use a gas burner (typically done outside or in a very well vented safe area) or electricity..
b) what size batches are you hoping to do
c) any preference on Brew in a bag or a 3 vessel system?

Depending on the answers to the above could vary what equipment is best suited to you considerably.

Hi all,
I'm thinking of a 3 vessel gravity system with a pump to recirculate the wort and using gas to heat (with a ventilation system for steam & gas fumes)
Looking at 80pint runs (thirsty mates) and I don't want to brew in bag.

Where a outs in Solihull? I'm working in brum

Was thinking of stainless pots and the 'bigger plan' is because we have loads of party's at home and my fellow builders can REALLY drink! Ha ha🍻

Was thinking of stainless pots and the 'bigger plan' is because we have loads of party's at home and my fellow builders can REALLY drink! Ha ha🍻

Cannot help on your setup too much because I don't run a 3 vessel.

you're going to need I would say 70 Litre pots at least for you're boil (possibly bigger).. bare in mind you're boil is going to be 50+ Litres at the beggining.

You will need a good old burner to get that rolling I guess..

Also think about a fermenter.. you could possibly go cheap and split it in two plastic buckets or go for a single fermenter but again it will cost you..

DO you have some kind of budget in mind because 40+ litre batches is going to require a bit of investment into getting the right kit to accommodate it..

In general the bigger the batch size the more complicated things can get.. think of weight too.. shifting 40L or wort if you have too move it is a lot harder than 20.

Not in any way trying to put you off, just make you aware just incase you never thought of these things

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-2507.html

Lots of us (me included) have the above and kit, if you want to progress from BIAB you can still use the boiler as a hot liquor tank/boiler and mash in a cool box.

Although it sounds like you have bigger things in mind already.

You seem to have your sights set up for a large system but would you really get through that much beer? For the same outlay you could maybe buy a grainfather?

For a cheaper alternative I agree with wfr42. I own the boiler and think it's a great way to start. Don't bother with a mashtun, you can mash in this boiler just wrap up well. I would buy this false bottom and a bag though. It certainly made a big difference to my last brew.

Keep us posted whatever you do.

I'll ad a bit.
First welcome to the forum. Ask anything you need.

First, getting the right equipment at the get go really helps. But, if you don't have your way of brewing down, non of the equipment will save you.
Don't brew big at first. You might be dumping a lot as your learning. With that said, you might have enough now to pull off a small 8 liter brew. As you go through the process you'll see why you need a pump. Why it's better with a plate chiller. Why recirculating your mash changes the outcome. This knowledge that you'll show yourself is super valuable.
And again, ask anything that you don't understand. Everyone here love to help.

buy pots direct from the german ebay.fr seller, email for a price inc delivery to the UK and you will generally find it lower than the ebay.fr local delivery price as no ebay fees ;) (pay via paypal invoice pots generally take 3-4 days to arrive)
[email protected]

Use Qmax hole punches to knock out clean precise holes for element/tap/prove access holes.
20mm is ideal for a snug hole for 1/2" bsp fittings
when breaking the skin of a pot for a pilot hole, a big hammer and sharp point work wonders, making opening up the hole a breeze with standard hss dril bits ;)

most SS bits and bobs as well as brass equivalents can be bought from bes.co.uk
look under stainless steel pipe fittings in the green menu
SS washers M20 - ebay ;)

Imho Electric hlt and kettle heating is much easier to control as long as you can provide a suitable feed,
fwiw i run off the end of 2 x 16a extension leads with a 100/80/100 brewery..

Pump wise, I like the lil brown solar pumps mine has needed a few head pulls and a nudge of the impellar blade and is still going strong 5 years on..
http://www.solarproject.co.uk/page2.html

I use a £10 ebay tattoo gun psu for a simple plug in dial up/down psu for the pump.

the homebrewbuilder.co.uk is run buy a brewer and is the 1st stop for top end bits of brewers SS,
Ive also had very good dealings with the copper kettle online brewshop and afaik both powel brewing and Angel brewing have got good solid reps for customer service too.

go electric tho ;)

Thank you, some good points that I hadn't thought of.
Think I'll stick to 40 pint runs😃
Want to stick with the stainless pots though as the system will be always on view so would prefer it to look good too (if you know what I mean) I have already got some oak knocking about to clad the mash tun and insulate between.
Just need to know about all the little bits and fittings?

Want to stick with the stainless pots though as the system will be always on view so would prefer it to look good too (if you know what I mean)

Well yeah that is the important part :lol::thumb:

I think you may have made the right decision with teh batch size, hey you can always brew twice as often :mrgreen:

disclaimer I take responsibility for the increased anger this may cause from any other half

That would be great! Thank you!
I'm working about half an hour from there so could prob get there for about
2:30/3? Would that be ok?
If you want to text/call me with your postcode/address (if you don't want it on the forum)

Latest posts

Back