The Lazy Brewers Guide

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanitise bottle caps...always...I chuck the lot into my bottle washer thingy filled with star san ,rinse the bottles and hang them on the tree then just pick the caps out as needed when bottling.

Agree 100% on that one, when I rinse out my bottles after pouring I rinse the cap and it gets a spray and on the day they all get soaked in sanitiser before being used. It's not paying attention to this kind of detail is where you can lose individual bottles to infection.

Brew out doors, saves so much cleaning:thumb: Ive even started weighing out side to cut out all that dust.
And of course BIAB, cleaning one pot is a PITA let alone three:doh:

Agree 100% on that one, when I rinse out my bottles after pouring I rinse the cap and it gets a spray and on the day they all get soaked in sanitiser before being used. It's not paying attention to this kind of detail is where you can lose individual bottles to infection.

Im the opposite, ive been brewing three and a half years and have never used starsan or sterilised a bottle cap,only infection was before my brewfridge, too hot in the shed for a Pilsner.
Maybe ive been lucky 🍀

Leave the mess after brewing for your partner to clear up.

This might not work though after I've been relegated to the garage.

Use the shower cubicle as a home brew equipment wash. Keeps everything in one place and keeps the mess in one place. And you have a ready supply of hot water to wash everything.

Also when sanitising bottle use a old fv to slosh starsan into them before going on the bottling tree, wash the fv the beer was in the use the bottle sanitation starsan on the fv and fill again. No point in wasting time between brews.

Or just pitch straight onto the yeast cake and screw the cleaning!!:whistle:

Im the opposite, ive been brewing three and a half years and have never used starsan or sterilised a bottle cap,only infection was before my brewfridge, too hot in the shed for a Pilsner.
Maybe ive been lucky 🍀

If it ain't broke pms, don't mend it.

Use the shower cubicle as a home brew equipment wash. Keeps everything in one place and keeps the mess in one place. And you have a ready supply of hot water to wash everything.

Also when sanitising bottle use a old fv to slosh starsan into them before going on the bottling tree, wash the fv the beer was in the use the bottle sanitation starsan on the fv and fill again. No point in wasting time between brews.

Or just pitch straight onto the yeast cake and screw the cleaning!!:whistle:
How do you stop the shampoo and soap getting in your beer? :lol:

Latest posts

Back