Grain basket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuizner

Janitor
Reaction score
Didnt get on with the hidden element burning my wort in the ace micro brewer so have gone rims. All good but i really would like to get a ss basket rather than biab / false bottom. I can then use one kettle as a single system and not worry about burned wort....

Anyone had a custom or bought a grain basket ?

I almost bought a small stainless waste basket from a poundland or bargain shop to use as a grain basket, but I ended up using the mesh section that protects the flame in an old propane patio heater. :nono:

Hi!
Recirculating the wort has not prevented scorching?
I thought that the ACE microbrewery came with a grain basket supplied.

yes the ace does come with a basket but i dont have an ace anymore...

With the ace, the wort burned on the heater plate on both occasions I used it causing it to trip with lots of panic ....

I now have a rims with a stainless 56L kettle and want to build or use a basket rather than a bag (56L is a big bag). Effectively same as the ace but larger and I can control the heat in the rims better than the hidden element on the ace...

I just had a thought.... dont come along often.

Couldnt I just use a PP fermenting bin as grain basket? similar to the peco boilers... drill some 1mm holes in the base

I have never had scorching I set the power to 1800w gets a good rolling boil with no scorching

Yes - I found 1800W was the limit before I burnt my bottom :oops: Possibly my fault in somehow allowing the flour / sugar to settle but once bitten.....

Anyhoo - I am now modding a PP 25L bucket to use as a grain basket in my mash kettle with a RIMS. We will see how that works soon....

yes the ace does come with a basket but i dont have an ace anymore...

With the ace, the wort burned on the heater plate on both occasions I used it causing it to trip with lots of panic ....

I now have a rims with a stainless 56L kettle and want to build or use a basket rather than a bag (56L is a big bag). Effectively same as the ace but larger and I can control the heat in the rims better than the hidden element on the ace...

The build up of flour on the bottom is the cause of that. Had same problem on my ace boiler. Needs cleaning after mashing. Dunno if this is of help http://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/collections/filters/products/brew-in-a-basket?variant=22941717955

Thanks - yes that was what I was looking for. They were sold out last time I checked so I made my own from a 20L bucket.....

Photo%2015-03-2017%2014%2045%2047_zpsmyew532k.jpg

If you wanted a basket to fit an ace boiler this looks like it will fit perfectly. I've actually ordered one, last week. The UK listing was setup to best offer too so I managed to get it for about £80 delivered.

Looking forward to trying this out as the grain bags loop ripped through when I was cleaning it last time.

Has anyone else used a plastic bucket for a grain tube?
I'm getting bits together to make a GF clone. Probably end up with a system similar to the Brewster. I'm using a Burco Cygnet 30l urn and am in the process of building a controller using an Arduino. The only part I'm struggling with is how to hold the grain. I guess the commercial systems use custom made grain tubes. I thought about 2 options, first is to get a large stock pot and drill holes in the bottom. I think a 19l pot would do. Feel a bit bad about spending �£20 - �£30 on a pot then putting a load of holes in it. Option 2 would be to use a plastic bucket. I've used a modified bucket as a kettle so I know they can withstand the temperature. I'd be interested to hear from others who have used plastic. My concerns are; how easy is it to sterilise the outside of the bucket and would the paint wear off and get into the wort.

Has anyone else used a plastic bucket for a grain tube?
I'm getting bits together to make a GF clone. Probably end up with a system similar to the Brewster. I'm using a Burco Cygnet 30l urn and am in the process of building a controller using an Arduino. The only part I'm struggling with is how to hold the grain. I guess the commercial systems use custom made grain tubes. I thought about 2 options, first is to get a large stock pot and drill holes in the bottom. I think a 19l pot would do. Feel a bit bad about spending ���£20 - ���£30 on a pot then putting a load of holes in it. Option 2 would be to use a plastic bucket. I've used a modified bucket as a kettle so I know they can withstand the temperature. I'd be interested to hear from others who have used plastic. My concerns are; how easy is it to sterilise the outside of the bucket and would the paint wear off and get into the wort.

I did a brew last weekend with a pp bucket. It worked although i used a bag as well. This wasnt good as i was recurculating and the bag plus bucket stopped a lot of the recirc flow..... next one will be with just the bucket. Bucket was fine. Pp is good for mashing. It will be fine at 80c. Keg kingdom do a stainless basket for �£50'which would be good i think if it fits.

PS plastic buckets arent painted. They are coloured in the masterbatch. Nothing to come off......

Hi, thanks for the replies. Didn't realise the designs on the buckets were part of the structure. I've seen those SS baskets online but I'm after something with solid sides. I'm planning to make a RIMS system, using a basket would mean that the recirculating wort would escape from the sides leaving the grain in the middle untouched.
I think I'll go with the plastic bucket. I picked up a couple of splatter guards from Poundshop. They have a fairly fine mesh but are quite thin. I'll either drill big holes in the bottom of the bucket or cut out segments then fit the mesh inside.

Hi!
I've been thinking (I know, but they say try something new every day :lol:) about modding polypropylene FVs to us as grain baskets.
Obviously the standard 23l FV is too wide to fit in the ACE, but I have some 10l buckets that fit perfectly if the handle is removed. They are too small i.e. in capacity to hold a grain load, but by perforating the bottom and then cannibalising a standard FV, with the judicious application of cable ties or SS wire a tube could be formed that could extend the height of the bucket.

Back