Ultimate B*strd son of a BIAB?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druncan

Senior Moments
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still planning my next stages moving from LME + Hop tea + steeped grains, even though it's all working great:thumb:
However, i want more brewing skills. Want to try AG, but cannot justify the 3 tier system in space or price,,,

Found this system made by Angel Brewing;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kL8n8LR82x6k-0CfTWCfnvMBgqulnuL1YE6fZKZK93g/edit

I was thinking of keeping the option of the heating elements (blanked holes) but aiming for a tri skin SS pot to work on a Buffalo Induction hob. I may have to build supports etc as it will be 60-70kg on a small hob.

Anybody considered this method? Comments? Criticism?

I am still planning my next stages moving from LME + Hop tea + steeped grains, even though it's all working great:thumb:

However, i want more brewing skills. Want to try AG, but cannot justify the 3 tier system in space or price,,,

Found this system made by Angel Brewing;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kL8n8LR82x6k-0CfTWCfnvMBgqulnuL1YE6fZKZK93g/edit

I was thinking of keeping the option of the heating elements (blanked holes) but aiming for a tri skin SS pot to work on a Buffalo Induction hob. I may have to build supports etc as it will be 60-70kg on a small hob.

Anybody considered this method? Comments? Criticism?

Hi there. That's my baby! It's been working really well and I have done enough brews to keep me in beer for months. I can't comment on the induction hob idea, as I havent got one. Can you control the temperature enough for mashing? I am guessing that you may have to do it manually which (with my accident prone nature) could be a risk.

I am happy to discuss how I put this together, if you have any questions.

Regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the multiple posts, I kept getting an error which told me it hadn't posted. I wasnt spamming.

Sorry for the multiple posts, I kept getting an error which told me it hadn't posted. I wasnt spamming.
With Tapatalk when you're quoting hit send then save come out of the thread and back to it again and your post will be visible as I've been there done that 👍

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Hi there. That's my baby! It's been working really well and I have done enough brews to keep me in beer for months. I can't comment on the induction hob idea, as I havent got one. Can you control the temperature enough for mashing? I am guessing that you may have to do it manually which (with my accident prone nature) could be a risk.

Regards.

This is the power of the HBF :lol: Cheers m8!

Can you suggest any improvements from your brewing so far?
I'm wondering about controlling the Induction heating via an Inkjet + sensor? If it all goes pants then I will use your element system. I would just like a clean pan base without elements to have to scrub. (I am a Restaurant kitchen Bi*tch in real life,,, the less to scrub the better)

Also looking at a PID system so I can do a type of RIMS/BIAB?
It's just blue sky,,,,
Great to get your feedback.

Regards.

I really like that grain basket idea.

Thanks JapanBrew. I do wonder if it would be just as effective in plastic. True, it would be less pretty, but it would be a lot quicker to make.

I love the smell of mashing in the morning.

This is the power of the HBF :lol: Cheers m8!

Can you suggest any improvements from your brewing so far?
I'm wondering about controlling the Induction heating via an Inkjet + sensor? If it all goes pants then I will use your element system. I would just like a clean pan base without elements to have to scrub. (I am a Restaurant kitchen Bi*tch in real life,,, the less to scrub the better)

Also looking at a PID system so I can do a type of RIMS/BIAB?
It's just blue sky,,,,
Great to get your feedback.

Improvements
I have moved the ball valve from the pump to the return on the lid since I took the pictures (if I remember right). On the inside of the lid, the return flow terminates in a quick disconnect. I can then add a spray head if I want to sparge, after the re circulation is complete. This is tricky to describe and a photo would be worth a thousand words, but I havent taken one of the detail yet. I have attached a picture of the ball valve on the lid, the disconnect is on the inside of this.

https://goo.gl/photos/QP3nbBHjH8sQFEoJ9

I have built a heat exchange cooler, which is just the right size to store between the inner and the outer pots. Picture also attached.

https://goo.gl/photos/HTGoTjiqKwvm8B5F9

I removed the filter from the back of the main ball valve, as I want the grain to be recirculated to the top. So the only thing that stops the trub is whirlpooling, but this has not been a problem yet.

I am working on a way to use a C02 regulator with Bottom Tap King Kegs, as I don't like the thought of beer sitting in beer lines, and I don't drink that much during the week. So the fun never seems to stop, but I suspect that I am rambling off topic now.

Thank's for the update m8. Just got our new Buffalo 3kw ind hob and tried it with my ink bird controller. It all works!!! Now just need a 70l induction compatible brewing pan that will hopefully fit with my original young's BV inside. I can then easily drill the base. It's all coming together nicely!

Thank's for the update m8. Just got our new Buffalo 3kw ind hob and tried it with my ink bird controller. It all works!!! Now just need a 70l induction compatible brewing pan that will hopefully fit with my original young's BV inside. I can then easily drill the base. It's all coming together nicely!

I think I see where you are going. I think it is a great idea. Love to see some pictures as you progress. I hadn't thought of an induction hob. Seems like a very good idea indeed. Are you still fitting a thermoprobe? How many kilowatts does it draw? Have you figured how to power it? Sorry about all the questions but it's a smart idea and I'm quite interested.

Just literally stole the new hob back to try a quick test. It was billed as a "business" replacement essential. However it flipping actually heats so well Polly has adopted it to full on catering use,,, if allowed I will be doing some kW testing and seeing how it heats my 19l pan. (Curiously now full of potato and roast garlic soup) Maybe this helps me get my 70l SS pan,,, I have been permitted Four 24l FV's in the lounge with the stove though. Burping happily,,,, :lol:

Well the kitchen testing of the 19l SS IND Pot and 3kw Buffalo has proved that the hob has plenty power and so easy to control. It's the same hob Kman uses in his BIAB set up. Adding the Inkbird 308 allowed fine temp control, we'll just see how it copes switching 3kw,,, (if I really need to:-?) Should be fine @ 1500w though. (it indicates wattage on a LED display)

Been in contact with Mark @ Brewbuilder as I like their new pot TC 70l with five welded ferrules. Sadly found the pot's not ind compatible. Bugr, awaiting a price on their highend 70l Ind pot with 5 TC ferrules welded on. (just to give me other options if it goes *its up)

My 30l original brewbin will be drilled in the base and used as a BIAB basket, or that's the plan at the moment,,,,

Unless someone now tells me what i have missed,,,,,,:whistle:

Sounds great. Please post some pictures when you are done!

Just when you think it's going in the right direction,,,,:doh:
Brewbuilder can't offer the welded 5 hole TC option on their high end IC (Induction Compatible) pots.

So, now aiming for 5 holes drilled to suit 1.5" TC screw fittings. (learning from Wealsie's experiences)

or should I go C&G?

What's the best connect/disconnect system?

Anyone know a good S/S welding co?,,,,,:whistle:
Still no pics, just brewing air @ the moment :lol:

Just when you think it's going in the right direction,,,,:doh:
Brewbuilder can't offer the welded 5 hole TC option on their high end IC (Induction Compatible) pots.
So the BIAB pot is stalled,,,, Bugr,,,,

Sadly, it also seems the Inkbird 308 can only cope with 2.2kw,,,,, So the IHob on full is way too much,,,, Bugr,,,

So, should I look at relay's to switch the 3kw, or go down the SmartPid route (and it cost's IOO �£120,,, )

JFYI, that's also nearly two 25kg JC's of HLME,,,,,,,, Bugr,,,

But, I will get to grain at some point:whistle:

Relays do the job! Not �£120

You are spot on m8, Working up some switching kit with my electrical m8 up here.

But,,,, SmartPid would allow stepped mash and dual probe monitoring,,,,
Bugr, yup, for the future?

Will stick to simples' first:whistle:

Hi Druncan,

If you are interested, I have made a video of the BigBrew in action. (sorry about the poor editing, but I am learning from my mistakes). https://youtu.be/YbKIXSETaI8

Happy brewing!

Great m8! thank you, it all becomes much clearer now, (like your wort:thumb:)

Looks like i'm downsizing to a 50l pot,,,, Hopefully will hear next week if it's a goer,,, not bothering with a sight glass and still hoping my 30l youngs FV will fit inside, as the pot is now 40cm. The pot should have four welded TC connects and a lid connect. Got the 12v pump ready. Just waiting for an update,,,,

Latest posts

Back