Wyeast 1469

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent discussion.
JMHO...There is a dark area in HBing, between a "starter" and "proving" a yeast

I agree, good discussion :thumb:

They can be one and the same I think. A 'starter' I would describe as something to increase your cell count (viability) and 'proving yeast' I would describe as making sure the yeast is healthy nd alive (vitality). Putting a smak pak in some extract wort (starter wort) will do both

JMHO under pitching is better than over-pitching.
Under pitch..the yeast will eventually do its job.
Over-pitching ...the yeast will get lazy and not finish its job

Mmm. I'd say the opposite. The dangers of underpitching are you get a stuck brew. If you overpitch more cells to do the work so infact your attenuation can be higher then ideal

I agree with MyQul in general on the pitching. Under pitching can increase esters due to extra growth but I believe that you need to ensure good oxygenation which is hard without a pump and air stone etc. I'd rather over pitch since all I do to oxygenate is splash my wort from a height out of the counterflow chiller.

MyQul, the item you were thinking of is a haemocytometer, used for counting blood cells.

Also agree with MyQul about pitching. I'm pretty sure I overpitched my second generation WLP023 starter into my current brew. Within 3 hours it took off like the proverbial freight train and was down to 1.007 within 3 days, 4 points lower than expected. A mightily impressive performance from that yeast.

Back