Buying malt in small quantities

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
I will be making a 10L extract stout soon and need to buy speciality malt in small quantities (e.g. 100g, 130g). Are there any online suppliers who will bag up malt in the exact quantities you specify? I wont be making another stout this year so a larger off-the-shelf bag would be wasted.

I will be making a 10L extract stout soon and need to buy speciality malt in small quantities (e.g. 100g, 130g). Are there any online suppliers who will bag up malt in the exact quantities you specify? I wont be making another stout this year so a larger off-the-shelf bag would be wasted.
Give these a try,have used them plenty of times and they are reliable and you can have 100grm packs.
Home Brew Equipment: Beer, Cider & Wine Making Kits – Bigger Jugs

You may find it cheaper to buy the malt in 1kg bags and then do something else with whatever you don't use.

How about investing in a cheap Mill and turning the excess grain into flour for baking? :thumb:

You can create your own recipe kit with exact qtys at the Malt Miller.
I think someone else does it too??

malt has a pretty good shelf life and the specialty grains and darker roasted grains have an even better shelf life. Most of the specialty grains wont be contributing any enzymes its the 'fresh' base malt that will supply the life of the mash, so dont fear having some well kept dry grains on the shelf for a year or more..

Malt wil last a god while as said so it's often cheaper to buy 500/1000 grams. If you really just want a 100g of this or that then biggerjugs have an eBay store with postage included which works out good for the odd 100g order

Malt wil last a god while as said so it's often cheaper to buy 500/1000 grams. If you really just want a 100g of this or that then biggerjugs have an eBay store with postage included which works out good for the odd 100g order
They are good,however go direct with them rather than through ebay:thumb:

Get er brewed are the best online one IMO for scalability. HBC and MM seem to have to buy in KGs which is okay but not if you do not want or need a KG

Once opened, the biggest spoiler for grain is moisture from the air which, in turn, encourages the formation of mould.

Most of the time the mould is not dangerous but the "musty smell" can get carried over into the Mash and ultimately spoil the brew.

I put dehumidifiers (the small unscented ones with a pink plastic cover) in the box I call "The Grain Store" and the FV that holds the Mill.

The system works! :thumb:

After about three months of non-use I opened up the FV for the Mill and discovered that although mould had grown around the lip on the outside, there was none on the inside! :thumb:

Mill with dehumidifier.jpg

Thanks for the advice.
I decided not to buy online, as the cost of P&P puts me off.
Instead I went to my LHBS and bought 500g bags of crushed chocolate and crystal malts @ £1.40 each. I will get at least 4 brews from the crystal and a lot more from the chocolate.
Have given SWMBO instructions to pick up some dehumidifier whatsits from the pound shop.

Latest posts

Back