Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I don't think I am explaining what I am getting at. What I am trying to say my current opinion (possibly incorrect) is that whatever a 30 min addition does you could get the same result using less hops by mixing this addition between a 60 min and a later addition, do you disagree?

Personally I never bother with a 30 min addition, but on the podcast I linked earlier in the thread they made 3 beers, identical other than 1 had just a 60min addition, 1 just a 30 min addition and 1 a flame out addition.
The testers (pro-brewers IIRC) not only found it surprising hard to tell the beers apart, but when blending the beers togther found adding the 30min beer to the other 2 added a 'roundness' that wasn't there with just the early & late additions. Its worth a listen

Thanks for all the input. This was a long discussion, I had with the head brewer at Gales Ales (Horndean) just up the road from me , probably back in 1983/4 on a tour of the brewery, and it's been my mantle ever since. ( Gales HSB and that tour truly got me into brewing all grain ).

Bit of a tangent but you can get the Gales yeast strain out of bottles of HSB (or is HSD?). I have some in my fridge at the moment

I'm led to believe that they still do bottles of HSB, sold by Waitrose, since being bought out by Fullers ( maybe someone will know ?) But not sure if they would still contain a viable yeast culture in them. And I'm sure nowadays the ABV has been notched down a bit from the original ?

I'm led to believe that they still do bottles of HSB, sold by Waitrose, since being bought out by Fullers ( maybe someone will know ?) But not sure if they would still contain a viable yeast culture in them. And I'm sure nowadays the ABV has been notched down a bit from the original ?

I bought a bottle of HSB from my local ASDA. I cultured it up and used it in a bitter. So it defiately is viable

Have tried making it ..... didn't quite taste the same to me , possibly the yeast ? ..... but if fullers are using a genuine primary culture .....!!

I'm assuming it's the genuine primary yeast. It's definately not the Fullers strain as I've cultured that up too and they taste (and act) completely different

Latest posts

Back