FG 1004 - wild yeast infection?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be fine. Very dry but that's because of the very low mash temp. I wouldn't doubt if that batch goes almost to 1.001. Try to keep your mash around 67.
An infection would come off as super rank, or vinegar. Going real dry would be a wild yeast problem. But I highly doubt that's what happening. Because your mash was so low you've just created all fermentable sugar. If you don't mind the high alcohol content, you could boil some brown sugar, cool down then add it to your batch. The brown sugar will still ferment but not all of it. It might lift up your gravity a tad to give you some body. Just a thought.
Thanks, but I've no doubt it'll be fine. What I said was "even I might start panicking" on the basis of I don't panic about such things.

But what started this was the idea that a few of us are finding Extra Pale Maris Otter is producing unusually fermentable worts. Even though I've mashed low previously, experience has never resulted in such high attenuation. Though my last APA mashed at 63C did get down to 1.006 with US-05 yeast.

I never attempt to doctor a beer after it's made. It is what it is. That includes commonly getting an FG of 1.020 with S-33 and 0.998 with a (MJ) French saison yeast.

Kind of like a natural stress reaction. Hahaha have those a lot as well.
Me too, never mess with them after they're done. I have, however, blended beers. Like a very dry beer with a full body ale. It can take a not so great beer and make it better. I won't say good, just better.

Kind of like a natural stress reaction. Hahaha have those a lot as well.
Me too, never mess with them after they're done. I have, however, blended beers. Like a very dry beer with a full body ale. It can take a not so great beer and make it better. I won't say good, just better.
Fermentation is hauling on the brakes now. But at a FG of 1.003 I've even beaten the OP, but I think a few folk here have convinced "Braufather" there is nothing unusual with his FG of 1.004. Attenuation is 92%, a similar beer last year came out 88% but was using ordinary Pale Malt.

So I am concluding from my experience and that of a few others there are batches of abnormally fermentable Extra Pale Maris Otter going about. But it will be seasonal and restricted to location.

Still has a way to go to equal my "saison" last year using MJ's French Saison yeast: Beersmith calculated the attenuation for that as 103%!

Cool, we can conclude It's all down to maverick extra pale malt then! Haven't tried mine yet but may try a first bottle this evening.

I wish I could get some MO in this country. You guys are really lucky to just be able to hop on in your local store and get what you need.

Cool, we can conclude It's all down to maverick extra pale malt then! Haven't tried mine yet but may try a first bottle this evening.

Go on, crack one open in the name of research. I've just had one of mine, only 5 days in the bottle and it's carbonated well and tastes lovely and fruity (it's a Citra/Centennial/Cascade APA). No flavour issues from the high attenuation at all. How's yours?

Just a quick update, had a taste last night, and as my wife put it - twang of ear wax! Wild yeast after all?

Still has an ear waxy taste, but this is the hoppiest beer I've done. Maybe because it's so dry the hops are over pronounced? Out of balance?

Or could it be wild yeast?
Weird thing is you get used to it, and whilst off putting at first I drank All the bottle.

Still has an ear waxy taste, but this is the hoppiest beer I've done. Maybe because it's so dry the hops are over pronounced? Out of balance?

Or could it be wild yeast?
Weird thing is you get used to it, and whilst off putting at first I drank All the bottle.

Could be, I remember @myqul or someone said he had a beer that was a little too hoppy for his tastes and it was soapy but as it mellowed it worked out really well.

I wonder whether this will diminish and blend over the weeks..

DOes it taste better or worse than before

I'm surprised that everyone is commenting about the mash temperature of the original post being very low at 65c. Ok - I always use fahrenheit as I use a very old dairy thermometer. 65c is 149F. I always mash (BIAB) a tad lower at 146F and have never had problems with super low FGs - most I've ever got down to is 1008 and my ale has plenty of body to it too.

Give it time. If it's too hoppy it'll mellow over time. If the yeast really is a kind of s-05 then it'll go low. As for yeast taste, there shouldn't be any unless you fermented high or the temp fluctuated a lot. That will stress the yeast.

I'm surprised that everyone is commenting about the mash temperature of the original post being very low at 65c. Ok - I always use fahrenheit as I use a very old dairy thermometer. 65c is 149F. I always mash (BIAB) a tad lower at 146F and have never had problems with super low FGs - most I've ever got down to is 1008 and my ale has plenty of body to it too.

Your strike temp is 146?

Could be, I remember @myqul or someone said he had a beer that was a little too hoppy for his tastes and it was soapy but as it mellowed it worked out really well.

I wonder whether this will diminish and blend over the weeks..

DOes it taste better or worse than before

Good question, I'd say better but that's because it's carbonationed and cold.

Time will tell I guess.

In terms of mash temps I've come to the conclusion that grain mills with just extra male would maybe be best at 67 plus, good old Maris otter at 65 and maybe IPAs with a lot of Caramalt can get away with 63.

Latest posts

Back