one disater after another

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am back and after a few more weeks I had a quick peek last night and the pellicle has gone?? whether the saison ate away before it or it just dropped I dont know.. the beer smelt okay but I haven;t sampled it yet to see what the final verdict is as I was shattered last night

I have VWP.. would this stuff kill the wild yeast/ bacteria infection in there by the way? I am thinking about my hydrometer to be honest which will obviously dip into this tainted beer to take a gravity check.

Thanks in advanced

I have VWP.. would this stuff kill the wild yeast/ bacteria infection in there by the way?

VWP is a chlorine bleach so yes it absolutely will kill all yeast and bacteria. It must be rinsed off very throroughly afterwards though.

Usually before a brew I detach my FV & kettle taps and soak in VWP then the final rinse before use is with sodium met solution which instantly neutralises any chlorine that might be left behind.

VWP is a chlorine bleach so yes it absolutely will kill all yeast and bacteria. It must be rinsed off very throroughly afterwards though.

Usually before a brew I detach my FV & kettle taps and soak in VWP then the final rinse before use is with sodium met solution which instantly neutralises any chlorine that might be left behind.

Thanks

Oh I have plenty of it and used it before I was just checking whether it was going to be substantial enough to belt and braces get rid of this

Cheers

I wouldn't be too quick to label it as an infection. Bacteria will eat stuff that yeast can't, so whilst they might have been set back by the Sacc, they'd have regrouped once it had finished. It might just be one of those things. It might even have been caused by the unhealthy yeast, and a strong yeast would clean those up.

Tasting the beer will give you a clue.

Beer smells and tastes okay actually, I wont pretend its currently looking like my best work but its a mix of the yeast types and whatever the pellicle did or did not do.

Not quite intended but I cannot expect miracles and certainly isn't going down the toilet just yet, I think you might be right "the idiot" (feels offensive to say that :lol:) I think the first yeast CML just failed me and the pellicle took up place but the saison yeast has done some good work and its down to around 1009 now .

Not sure whether to leave it longer (its now 5 weeks in FV), crash it if possible in a fridge or just bottle it and try and drink it quicker..

Glad to hear you have something drinkable. I'd probably bottle it.

1.009 is high for a Saison yeast under normal conditions, which suggests that whatever the issue was with the CML yeast, is also a struggle for the Saison yeast. To me this suggests that there may have been incomplete conversion in the mash. Poor aeration and yeast viability can also cause stalling, but shouldn't be an issue with dry yeast.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

yeah I don't know what really happened, mashed as normal got even better efficiency than normal, I am an advocate for aerating so dunno.. never had anything like any of these problems before so maybe / hopefully just a freak occurance. SO I will try bottle it at the weekend being consrvative on what I transfer to bottling bucket.. then VWP everything

Had a few last night, only a week in the bottle but given it may or may not deteriorate I dont mind going a little quicker

It was pretty good, originally it was a clone of my extract OSH and my combination of CMY yeast x2 whatever the bacteria was and belle saison actually made something similar to OSH.. a little cloudy and under carbed but if this holds up and clears without going bad then it will be pretty good..

when they carb up I might fridge them all

Back