Potential Micro pub homebrew shop & nano brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks every one. The dividing wall is very structural as are most of the layout though the office and workshop/brewery are a wooden extension. The general layout are just my 1st thoughts and maybe need work. As for business plan I have not done one yet on this premises but I did on one 2.5 times the rent for a micro pub only in a smaller building but in a much more prime location and it looked good. If anyone has a guesstimate of pints & bottles sold a day would be helpful to see if it is close to mine.

Whereabouts in Edenbridge exactly? Also, any reason for selecting there?

You might need to add another toilet (there's some legislation on ladies and gents if I remember correctly).

Isn't there a requirement for disabled toilet???

I think there just needs to be access. I don't think there is anything requiring separate toilets (if there is the Feds need to go out around mine) but I don't think that's the problem.

I absolutely love little beer bars, where you can comfortably spend the afternoon. The only thing is, is 15 customers enough to keep the wolf from the doors?

If I we're in your position (and feel free to tell me to do one!) I'd wait it out until the right premises became available. No point compromising your dreams because you were in a rush!

Sounds like a cracking idea to me - one of the most interesting places I visited when I did a brewery tour in Portland (http://brewvana.com/ - well worth the effort) was the Portland U-Brew http://www.portlandubrewandpub.com/ - same sort of concept, was tempted to set up something similar myself ! One idea I was going to steal was that they had a recipe folder where punters could choose what beer they would like & then have a barrel made up for them

I think there just needs to be access. I don't think there is anything requiring separate toilets (if there is the Feds need to go out around mine) but I don't think that's the problem.

I absolutely love little beer bars, where you can comfortably spend the afternoon. The only thing is, is 15 customers enough to keep the wolf from the doors?

If I we're in your position (and feel free to tell me to do one!) I'd wait it out until the right premises became available. No point compromising your dreams because you were in a rush!

15 people in a pub around by me would be a busy night lol.

These places tend to have small groups coming in for a couple before moving on. Plus the mark up is usually a lot more than normal pubs.

Its at the south end of Edenbridge high street no 91 if you want to see exactly google TN8 5AU and on maps its shown as pipers florist. Its immediate surroundings are loads of takeaways and a few hair places. As for toilets neither of the 2 nearest micro pubs (Radius arms and Cobbets) have more than 1. I have been looking for a suitable premises for something like this for around 2 years and this is the best that has come up. I am thinking that sales will be split very roughly 1/3rd takeaway beers 1/3rd drink in beers and the other 3rd a mix of homebrew and brewery stuff.

I like the sound of it; sounds very similar (apart from the homebrew aspect) to the billericay brewery. Which I'm familiar with through there brewer for the day scheme , something else you could incorporate perhaps?

I have plans for various brewery options but since its more of a big homebrew setup I don't think I can charge anything like there £99 for the day, more like £25 including 3 pints and a takeaway from a surrounding shop. Other options:
Buy a pint on a brew day and get a quick look round and ask some questions maybe turn a few taps.
Rent the brewery for the day with the brewer £200 + ingredients + duty and take home 160-180L of beer either in our casks, cornies or king kegs (deposit required) or your own equipment. Or if HMRC allow it take it home in your own fermenters duty free. This will roughly give you 4 72 pint firkins of 4% beer for £80-90 each. Discount to £150 if you have rented the equipment before & i'm happy you don't need supervision. Also possible I may buy some of it back.
Does this sound reasonable?

I have plans for various brewery options but since its more of a big homebrew setup I don't think I can charge anything like there £99 for the day, more like £25 including 3 pints and a takeaway from a surrounding shop. Other options:
Buy a pint on a brew day and get a quick look round and ask some questions maybe turn a few taps.
Rent the brewery for the day with the brewer £200 + ingredients + duty and take home 160-180L of beer either in our casks, cornies or king kegs (deposit required) or your own equipment. Or if HMRC allow it take it home in your own fermenters duty free. This will roughly give you 4 72 pint firkins of 4% beer for £80-90 each. Discount to £150 if you have rented the equipment before & i'm happy you don't need supervision. Also possible I may buy some of it back.
Does this sound reasonable?

That £25 option sounds really cheap. I am guessing 3 pints will be £12 then food on top so close to £20.

Plenty of options for the brewery side.

What's Brewing is the CAMRA magazine so possibly a non-starter :)

Worth looking into the history of the shop which might give some inspiration. Always nice to add a bit of history as a selling point.

Oh and the best of luck. Something I would love to do but never had the balls to go ahead with.

Simon, there's some great idea's here! -- But, make sure your HMRC allows duty suspension and constructive release. Also really worth getting the 70hl exemption certificate for making cider. I often sell more cider than beer . With no duty to pay it's really worthwhile and opens up another income stream.

We have struggled with Disability/equality building rules and our current two small loo facilities in our restaurant. If I modernise we will need to convert a loo to a disability wheelchair accessible toilet and it would take up too much of our floor space to be viable,,,

Name; Father jack's? (drink, Drink, DRINK!!)

Thanks everyone. Druncan why would I need duty suspension and constructive release? Is this so home brew can be produced without duty? After another day of thinking I decided I want to maximise the drinking space so new potential floor plan below, note nothings to scale especially the tables.
CBWgkhv.jpg

I think anything saleable,till etc should be behind a counter.....having them the other side will tempt problems...also you have a shelved area through a door. ...how will you supervise these closed areas? Are the short walls on the right hand side supporting? I'd be tempted to try and put shelves, fridges,kegs, till all down one side behind a bar.

The amount of tables in the space is optimistic and I agree having all beer in one place or at least visible from the bar/serving area

Latest posts

Back