Anyone know where I can get barley?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm looking to grow my own barley but can't find anywhere online selling anything suitable. Does anyone know where to get barley seeds from?

Thanks

Thanks for the link. I did see them before but not sure whether that baley is any good for malting. I'll write and ask.

Unfortunately not. Firstly there's 2 row and 6 row. Whilst both can be used for brewing, 2 row is better. Some barley types are genetically modified to make mashing easier, so more sugars can be extracted easier. Again, under modified malt can be used, but it makes things a bit more complicated.

TBH I'm not a huge expert in this field but I'm sure someone else can explain the different barley types.

All I can add is barley for malting is certainly different from the rest and is lower in protein.

I asked about the barley seeds and good news it is 2 row, but it's winter barley which isn't the best for brewing with; spring barley is better. However, as it's only about £1.60 for some seeds it's worth getting so I can get experience on how to grow barley - find out what it likes, good companion plants etc. so if I screw this crop up it's not the end of the world.

Again I am astounded by the prolification of things that there are to know about.

Latest posts

Back