The World-wide hop shortage?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toredan

Reaction score
So after a couple lengthy chats with a few homebrew shops over the phone it seems we're doomed. US, French, and German hop harvests were exceedingly poor for the second year running (So I'm being told) hence why both shops are out of the hops I'm after. Has anyone got any info on this? Should I be stock-piling certain hops that I love but won't be able to get next year if this is true? Or are people scare-mongering? :)

I've read things saying that hotter than usual summers have affected crops in America and Germany. And some hop prices online have shot up recently. It's possibly good news for English hop growers! I'm pretty relaxed, there aren't any hops I really dislike, I'll brew with whatever I can get for a decent price. Plus, I have a freezer full of 29 varieties anyway! :-)

I've read things saying that hotter than usual summers have affected crops in America and Germany. And some hop prices online have shot up recently. It's possibly good news for English hop growers! I'm pretty relaxed, there aren't any hops I really dislike, I'll brew with whatever I can get for a decent price. Plus, I have a freezer full of 29 varieties anyway! :-)

I blame Clibit for the Global hop shortage, he's got too many forum members off kit brewing and onto some form of all grain :-)

I've had no problems finding these online recently. Pellets more often than leaf.

Was trying to get them locally, I've resorted to ordering online. Post wasn't really about me finding the hops, but questioning the apparent shortage :)

So whilst I have the attention of some of you pros, is there a hop that could replace the American ones I'm after? Not too experienced with hops or AG but I absolutely adore a really hoppy IPA. All the popular ones seem to use things like Citra, Simco, Amaretto, Mosiac, etc etc.

There are, but they will be in short supply too. Australian and NZ hops.

So whilst I have the attention of some of you pros, is there a hop that could replace the American ones I'm after? Not too experienced with hops or AG but I absolutely adore a really hoppy IPA. All the popular ones seem to use things like Citra, Simco, Amaretto, Mosiac, etc etc.

I'm no big hop expert but believe the 'C' hops of Citra, Cascade, and Centennial are similar enough to be interchangeable alternatives for each other.

We will have to see how much effect there is on supply and prices. I suspect the premium hops like Citra, Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe will be the ones most hit. I guess we will have to switch to American hops grown in larger quantities and/or that have less demand, like Willamette, Columbus/Zeus, Nugget, Bravo. Different, but more similar than hops grown outside America. The Homebrew Company has already whacked the price of some hops to about £8, even though they are 2014 crop. Presumably in anticipation of prices rising. Or perhaps cos they are running out, 2014 wasn't a great year either. Maltmiller hasn't done this though, prices have not changed. But some hops have run out.

Back