Sa-04 - how fast is fast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening brewing brethren

Quick q on sa-04 yeast. It's supposed to be quick, right? What's people's experience? I'm using it for the first time in my stout. A smallish krausen formed very quickly and dissipated soon after. I'll do a hydro test on the weekend but how quickly can I expect it to be finished?

Bottling this weekend would be handy but it will have only been on a week.

First brew I did with this I had by the sounds of it same krausen as you, and if I recall the whole thing had finished in maybe 5 days? Certainly less than a week anyway. Still left it in the fv for 2 weeks - it was as murky as the Mersey....

Sa 04 has given me some good results and despite the don't make starters with dry yeast. I did and is was going in a matter of minutes.

Even if visable signs have ceased leave it. The yeast cleans up after itself, imparts flavours and drops out almost by itself if you leave it well alone.

Just my experience.

Yeah I'd rather leave it longer for yeast clean up but bottling this weekend will be less hassle than the weekend after. I normally don't even open the fv for two weeks.

Might chance my arm though if it's down to target OG by sunday. Started around 1056 so with about 75% attenuation, which is what fermentis suggest, then it'll finish around 1014. Will take a reading sat evening.

Back