Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Brewing Books & Publications > Mikkellers Book of beer.

Old 21-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #31
peteplus1

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I haven't got the desired abv this time around but glad it's lower rather than higher!

I've split the batch into 3. Bottled approx 5 litres as is, 5 litres with a homemade hazelnut liqueur into it, and got the remainder still sat with a load of toasted coconut in and some vanilla .

Will bottle that last batch this weekend. After they've carbed up (hopefully) in a couple of weeks I'll be giving them a go.

Keep me updated on yours. Sounds terrific!

Clearing/Carbonating...
NEIPA #2

Drinking...
Mikkeller's Milk Stout original
Mikkeller's Milk Stout with coconut
Mikkeller's Milk Stout with hazelnut liqueur

Ageing...
Mikkellers Beer Geek Breakfast oatmeal stout clone

BREWING IN HORSFORTH, LEEDS

Old 31-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #32
dps51

Liked 129 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 135

see he have a shop online
http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/mikke...FXEW0wodTtIAFw

Conditioning
KIT john bull best bitter

IN FV
AG Amarillo single hop brew

next brew
AG brown ale

Old 02-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #33
teadixon

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dps51 View Post
You can buy direct from them: https://shop.mikkeller.dk/

Beer, Merch, and er, a Running Club?

Old 17-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #34
peteplus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadixon View Post
How are you getting on?

My process is far from perfect BTW. Mine's settled at 1.014 so that's 6.8% ABV, not quite the 8+% I was going for. Samples are tasting pretty pretty good though.

It's stayed in the FV a bit longer than planned because my little boy got hold of my hydrometer and smashed it - had to buy a new one before I could take the FG. Going to Dry Hop it tomorrow night I reckon and bottle on Friday or Saturday - planning to bottle a couple without the dry hop so I can compare the recipe to my own version.
Any updates on the brew?

Old 19-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #35
teadixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteplus1 View Post
Any updates on the brew?
Hmm, well I'm a bit disappointed tbh. I think it's a little sweet - maybe under-attenuated? It's only been in the bottle 3 weeks so I'm giving it time and hoping it turns into something a bit more tasty.

How's yours?

Old 20-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #36
peteplus1

Quote:
Hmm, well I'm a bit disappointed tbh. I think it's a little sweet - maybe under-attenuated? It's only been in the bottle 3 weeks so I'm giving it time and hoping it turns into something a bit more tasty.

How's yours?
The original batch is lovely, just a little lower in abv. The coconut version is a nice addition and other than the oil making the head disappear is really tasty. The ones with the hazelnut liqueur is a split decision. Very boozy but quite nice in my opinion. Other half thinks too much booze.

Old 21-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #37
teadixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteplus1 View Post
The original batch is lovely, just a little lower in abv. The coconut version is a nice addition and other than the oil making the head disappear is really tasty. The ones with the hazelnut liqueur is a split decision. Very boozy but quite nice in my opinion. Other half thinks too much booze.
That sounds like a good turnout. Cracked another one of mine open tonight (first since last weekend) and I think it's developing nicely. Kind of spicy and pretty boozy - I think it might turnout ok!
peteplus1 Likes This 
Old 24-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #38
JFB

Liked 175 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Quote:
@jceg316 I'd love to know which ones you've tried.

I'm looking at doing the Drinkin' The Sun for an easy going table beer type brew, I might up the % to a high 3 or so and also the Firestone Black IPA.

One thing I'd like is a bit of a preamble to the recipes as one question I have is the thinking behind his difficulty scale. What makes the harder recipes hard? What should I look out for?

The Typos are pretty bad - they even mistyped one of the beer names! All Other Pales Pale is called All Other Pale Ales at the top of the recipe and I've spotted several more mistakes (am I really meant to ferment the porter at 121 C? I think that should be 21 C). It's a shame as it detracts from an otherwise pretty good book.

I agree about the history too - his 'Gypsy Brewing' technique is interesting, that he was into running when he was 14 isn't.
Ive just been flicking through the recipes and I don't know what flaked mats are? The all other pale ales has cara pils twice in the recipe?
Also don't like that theres no time line on when the beer should come good and given that he likes the high abv's that's quite important I think?
ill still give some of the beers ago but feel the book is a bit short on recipes which is why after all we buy the book

Old 27-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #39
teadixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Ive just been flicking through the recipes and I don't know what flaked mats are? The all other pale ales has cara pils twice in the recipe?
Also don't like theres no time line on when the beer should come good and given that he likes the high abv's that's quite important I think?
ill still give some of the beers ago but feel the book is a bit short on recipes which is why after all we buy the book
I think Flaked Mats = Flaked Oats

And I noticed that 2 x Cara Pils too ... get the feeling one of those is meant to be something else... your guess is as good as mine!